Recipes for Savoy cabbage for the winter
The desire to preserve food for a long time is inherent in every housewife. In the article you will find information about how to salt Savoy cabbage and about the features of its storage in winter.
Is it possible to salt Savoy cabbage for the winter?
Savoy cabbage is a popular vegetable with attractive dark green, crisp corrugated outer leaves that become lighter closer to the head of cabbage. During cooking, it does not emit the smell of digested cabbage, which is what the housewives like. You can prepare vegetables in different ways, regardless of variety, although winter is preferred. And of course, it can be consumed in salads, various dishes, fermented, pickled, salt and used in homemade preparations.
Did you know? Savoy cabbage is rich in vitamin K. In combination with other vitamins and minerals, it prevents the growth of bacteria that damage the enamel and cause tooth decay.
But there is an opinion that it is impossible to pickle Savoy cabbage. It is based on the fact that its leaves are softer than that of the white one, and after salting they will lose their shape. In fact, it can be salted, like other vegetables. The salting process consists in exposing the product to solutions with a high concentration of sodium chloride.The essence of the process is that at a salt concentration of 10% or more, most microorganisms die. This process is different from pickling, which uses acetic acid, and pickling, the action of which is based on fermentation. When pickling and pickling salt, an auxiliary role is assigned - a substance that improves taste.
For salting, you need to prepare heads of cabbage. Peel them of integumentary leaves. If there are traces of mechanical damage - carefully cut them with a knife. Wash the vegetable and drain.
To prepare the salting, prepare:
- Head out. It can be divided into several parts or chopped into pieces. Chip width - 3-5 mm.
- Taru. You may need: a large pot for salting, a small one as a yoke and 3- or 10-liter cans.
- Spices - dill, horseradish, garlic and spices: hot peppers in pods or peas. Herbs are washed and chopped.
Important! For sauerkraut, 9% vinegar is used, but if you use more concentrated solutions (70% essence), then store them out of the reach of children. The use of such a solution can be fatal!
Savoy cabbage harvest recipes for winter
The recipe is quite diverse.Most salting recipes for this vegetable are of eastern origin. Residents of the Mediterranean prefer to use it for stuffing or in salads.
ground to taste
2 heads or about 10 teeth
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Cook the head out. Rinse it with water and cut into 4 parts.
- Cook the brine. To do this, put salt in boiling water, let it dissolve. Then turn off the heat and strain.
- Place the head in a pickling bowl and fill it with brine.
- Install oppression from above. If you salt in a large saucepan, then a small saucepan or a bottle filled with water weighing 1.5 kg can be oppression. Let it stand for 3 days indoors at room temperature.
- Make the sauce. To do this, wash the vegetables. Remove tails and seeds from pepper. Chop the garlic.
- Pound the garlic with pepper and add the coriander and salt. In this case, you need to generously salt. Add prepared pepper and grind with a blender.
- The sauce can be refrigerated until the cabbage is prepared.
- After 3 days, remove the parts of the head of cabbage from the brine. You can separate the leaves or leave them on it. Lubricate each one with the sauce.
- Put the vegetable back in the brine and put the oppression. After 2 days, transfer to glass jars, fill with brine and place in the cold.
Did you know? The external leaves of Savoy cabbage are stiffer and designed to protect the head of cabbage from external influences. The head of cabbage itself is represented by tender and juicy inner leaves with a sweet, grassy taste. It is these leaves that are used in cooking.
Sauerkraut with dill
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Remove cover and wilted leaves. Rinse the head with water.
- Cut it into 6 pieces and remove the stump. Chop the leaves.
- Grind them with salt and dill seeds. Ratio: 1 kg of vegetable: 1 tbsp. l salt: 1 teaspoon of seeds.
- Put in a bottle.
- Use a wooden rammer to seal. Fill the bottle to the shoulders (10 cm below the neck). Install oppression from above.
Ways to store at home
Store salted or pickled cabbage in a cold place. It can be a refrigerator, a cellar or a balcony in winter. When stored on the surface, mold may form. It must be removed. To do this, they remove the oppression, wash it, clean the top layer of pickling and put the oppression in place. Harvest cabbage from October to November.
Important! Fermentation is based on the work of lactic acid during fermentation. It inhibits microorganisms. But acid works only at low temperatures, so keep the product in the cold.
Cabbage contains many healthy vitamins and minerals. It should definitely be included in your menu. Cook using classic recipes, modify the aromatic components according to your preferences and enjoy the taste!