Salted watermelon slices
Watermelons are not only a sweet, tasty and fragrant summer delicacy, they are ways to become a great salty snack in the winter. Today, pickled berry is becoming increasingly popular and in demand among modern consumers. How to preserve watermelons correctly and which recipe to choose for quick cooking - later in the article.
Selection and preparation of ingredients
Watermelons are a large berry of the melon family, which is widely used in the culinary field for the preparation of various sweet dishes, desserts, snacks. Of course, the quality of any dish, and in particular, winter preservation, will depend on the quality of the raw materials.
Did you know? According to botanical characteristics, watermelon is a large berry weighing 4–15 kg Archaeological research has proven that it was first cultivated 2000 years ago in Egypt.
When choosing berries for pickling, you should pay attention to such aspects:
- the watermelon should be ripe, without visible external damage, cracks, rotten patches, symptoms of diseases, etc.
- ripe berry has a pronounced aroma. If the smell is unpleasant or almost imperceptible, then it is better to refuse to buy the product, since it is highly likely that it has remained on the counter for a long time;
- Fresh, high-quality watermelon has a smooth, shiny peel with bright stripes. The tail of the berry should be dry and yellow;
- a ripe berry, when tapped on the surface, can hear a muffled sound. A sonorous sound indicates that the watermelon is quite juicy, but not ripe enough;
- for the preparation of lightly salted berries, a fruit with a pink, not red pulp and a thin peel is suitable.
It should be remembered that the ripening of berries begins in the month of August, so buying fruits ahead of schedule is not recommended, since, most likely, they will be unripe or with a high nitrate content.
Sliced salted watermelon recipes in slices
There are many variations in the preparation of salted watermelons, but I would like to dwell in more detail on the simplest, quickest and most affordable recipes.
The described recipe is considered classic. Watermelons on it are very juicy, tender, incredibly aromatic, with a pleasant sweet-spicy taste.
From kitchen utensils you will need: a bucket or a large pot, knife and board for cutting products.
5-6 liter bucket 20 minutes / 10 days
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Rinse the berry thoroughly, cut into sectors (1/4 of a circle).
- Place greens, chopped garlic and hot pepper at the bottom of the bowl.
- In a circle, lay out the watermelon slices in layers, shifting each with dill, pepper and garlic.
- To prepare the marinade per 1 liter of water add 2 tablespoons of salt (without a slide).
- Pour the watermelon raw material with the ready brine, cover and lay the oppression on top.
- Set the blank for three days in the kitchen.
- After the specified time, close the pickled berries with a tight nylon cover, transfer to the refrigerator for several days.
Watermelons cooked in such a way will be a wonderful piquant snack for any feast. Such a dish can not only please guests with an unusual taste charm, but also saturate the body with useful vitamins and minerals.
In the process of cooking you will need: large pot for salting, knife and cutting board.
5-6 liter pan 10 minutes / 72 hours
dill, horseradish leaves
hot pepper (powder)
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Rinse greens and watermelon thoroughly.
- Cut greens into large enough pieces, put in a pan.
- Cut the garlic into large pieces, put in a bowl.
- Divide the berry into large slices, put in a saucepan.
- Prepare a brine: add 1 tbsp. To 1 liter of water. l salt.
- Pour raw material with marinade, add hot pepper and mustard.
- Cover the container with a lid, place the yoke on top.
- Place the container with the workpiece in a warm place for several days until the watermelons begin to ferment.
- Put the pan in the refrigerator. After 72 hours, the product is ready for use.
Whip up Video recipe: Whip up
Important! Watermelon is fermented with peel, so you should choose a berry with the least thin skin. For this recipe, it is better to choose a slightly unripe fruit.
The berry prepared according to this recipe turns out to be extremely tasty, fragrant, with a spicy, good taste and an incredibly delicate texture that just melts in your mouth. Small fruits can be used in whole with the described method of salting.
In the process of cooking you will need: a barrel for salting, a pan, a small piece of gauze, a sharp knife and a board for cutting products.
5 liters; 60 minutes / 60 days
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Boil some water in a separate pan, add wormwood, let it brew for 15–20 minutes.
- Pour water with wormwood into the barrel, wait 20 minutes, drain.
- Add rye straw to the bottom of the barrel.
- Rinse the fruit, divide into four parts, lay it in a barrel, cover with straw from above.
- Prepare the marinade: add salt, sugar, allspice, cloves to cold water.
- Pour watermelon raw materials with a brine, cover with a piece of gauze on top, cover with a lid and oppression. As oppression, you can use a jar filled with water.
- Place the keg in a warm place, and after a few days put it in the refrigerator.
- After 2 months, the snack is ready.
Important! Salty watermelon is prepared without the use of table vinegar, which makes it possible to use the product for people with diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
Features of storage of blanks
Keep pickled watermelons in a cool, dry place that is reliably protected from direct sunlight and is located away from heat sources. A small amount of pickles can be placed in the refrigerator, where it can be stored for several months.
Large barrels with blanks are good for storing in the cellar or basement, which meet the following requirements:
- temperature indicators - not higher than +4 ... + 6 ° С;
- relative humidity - 80–95%.
Did you know? Watermelon is completely edible. The peel is pickled and salted, used to make jam, jam. Seeds - fry and eat.
Salty watermelons are a great appetizer, which is great for everyday lunch or a festive feast. The undoubted advantage of such a dish is the complete absence of a bite, which makes it available for children and diet menus. Salt the berry for the winter is quite simple: you need to choose the right recipe and follow the instructions for its preparation.