The most delicious recipes for preparing plum sauce for the winter
For many, plum is associated only with aromatic sweet and sour prunes, as well as a variety of pastry dishes and sugary drinks. However, few people know that this fruit is used quite successfully by residents of China, the Caucasus and other countries for making spicy sauce with a sweet aftertaste. It is successfully combined with meat, vegetables, cheeses, and also used as a fragrant spice for any dishes. The article discusses the most popular Tkemali plum sauce recipes in a classic form, as well as in all kinds of variations, with step-by-step instructions and a photo.
Selection and preparation of ingredients
Preparation of a quality dish depends on many factors and is often the result of a painstaking approach to the process even at the stage of the selection of ingredients. And it’s no secret that for the preparation of plum sauce this condition is also applicable. The main secret of this Caucasian dish are just two ingredients.
First of all, to make such a dressing delicious, you need to carefully approach the choice of base - drain. Traditionally The classic plum dressing recipe uses especially spicy Tkemali fruitsthanks to which the dish got its world famous name. Without them, a spicy and piquant product according to a real Georgian recipe is impossible. This is due to the special taste properties of the fruits of the plant, which directly affect the final taste of seasoning.
These are fragrant, but at the same time quite acidic fruits, which, when cooked, become that sweet and sour highlight that can perfectly complement any dish. At its core, this type of plant is a variety of cherry plum that grows in certain regions of Eurasia. You can replace it with almost any edible fruit of plants of the genus Plum, however, the so-called Chinese type of plum, which is distinguished by a particularly acidic taste, is best suited for Tkemale sauce, so today this sauce is available in all kinds of taste and color variations.
Important! Plums should be selected without any signs of pest or culture-specific diseases. Otherwise, making a tasty product will not work, as the flesh can acquire an unpleasant aftertaste or bitter taste.
The next secret to the classic recipe is ombalo. This is a special spice, which is one of the varieties of mint. It grows in abundance on the territory of Georgia, but far from everyone can cook a dish with it, since it is not easy to buy ombalo in other latitudes. You can replace this spice with any other mint., however, the analogue should not give the plum seasoning a sharp aroma and bitterness.
Preparing fruits for cooking is quite simple. First, they must be thoroughly washed under cool running water and dried. Next, the bone should be removed from the pulp, after which you can begin to boil the sauce. If you want to delay cooking, put the fruits in the refrigerator. At the same time, it is not recommended to freeze them, since the flesh will lose its taste and aroma.
Step-by-step recipes for preparing plum sauce for the winter
High-quality Tkemali is considered an ideal meat and vegetable dressing, which can give summer freshness in the cold winter. In cooking, many recipes for this dish are known, therefore, in addition to the classic dark burgundy color, you can find gravy of red and even yellow color. The following are only the most successful recipes for home use.
A simple recipe for Tkemali sauce
4 cans per 0.5 l60 minutes
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Peel hot pepper from the stem, and also remove the seeds and white film. The red variety of hot pepper is best suited for the dish, since green is less saturated and can sometimes be inferior in hotness.
- Pass plums, garlic and pepper through a meat grinder, and then combine them together.
- Add sugar, salt and tomato paste to the fruit and vegetable gravy.
- Thoroughly mix the chopped ingredients, and then boil the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly (cooking should take place no more than 20 minutes).
- Roll hot liquid into sterile jars and cool. After about a day, the dish becomes usable.
Such gravy cannot be called a classic, but it simply repeats the Georgian Tkemali.
Video recipeA simple recipe for Tkemali sauce Video recipe: A simple recipe for Tkemali sauce
Did you know? In the territory of the Russian Empire, plum appeared thanks to Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich in 1654. For the first time the plant was planted in Izmailovo, in the royal garden.
4 cans per 1 liter60 minutes
apples (sour varieties)
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Pour the seedless plums with water and boil the fruits until they are completely boiled. You need to boil the fruits over low heat so that the resulting slurry does not burn.
- Grind the boiled plum 2-3 times through a fine sieve, this must be done carefully to bring the flesh to full uniformity.
- Peel the apples from the core and peel, and then boil and grind through a sieve.
- Combine the applesauce and plum puree, and then add sugar, salt and spices to the mixture.
- Put the liquid on a slow fire, boil for 20-25 minutes, and then pour into sterile jars and roll up.
Did you know? In China, plum is considered the official symbol of winter. Moreover, in Japan, the plant is considered a symbol of spring triumphing over the winter cold.
6 cans per 0.5 l; 60 minutes
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Pour fruit with clean water, then simmer over low heat until the pulp is separated from the peel.
- Grind boiled plums in a blender.
- Add salt, sugar, spices and chopped garlic to the pulp, and then grind everything well again.
- Boil the mixture over low heat for about 30 minutes, then pour into sterile jars and roll up.
Features of storage at home
Due to the increased acidity, saturation with salt and spices, Tkemali refers to those products that have good shelf life. In well-sterilized jars at room temperature, the sauce is able to maintain its freshness for 1 year. In the refrigerator, cellar or vegetable store with a temperature of +5 ... + 15 ° С, refueling can be saved up to 3 years. Sealed cans should be consumed within 2-3 weeks, but at the same time they should be stored in the refrigerator at a temperature of 0 ... + 5 ° С.
Important! Tkemali and all kinds of it are forbidden for any pathology of the digestive tract, so the introduction of such products in the diet for diseases of the digestive system is permissible only after consultation with doctors.
Georgian Tkemali is one of the few products that perfectly complements any meat and vegetable dish. Today this sauce has become so popular that several dozens of its various variations have appeared that are worthy of a photograph in any cookbook, so everyone can enjoy a real Caucasian snack, for this you need only 60 minutes of free time and a few kilograms of suitable fruit.