Peach Crossed Apple: Home-grown
Hybrid plant varieties are characterized by positive feedback from gardeners and gardeners, because thanks to the efforts of breeders we can consume vegetables, berries and fruits, the characteristics of which correspond to several separate cultures at once. This statement applies to the hybrid of peach and apple, which may also be called "apple nectarine." Why such fruits are noteworthy, and what kind of care is required for trees, read on.
Features peach and apple hybrid
The description of any plant begins with a study of its external data and the taste properties of the fruit, although it is equally important to consider the level of resistance to typical diseases, as well as the possibility of successful cultivation in a specific climatic region.
Many gardeners call the hybrid plant of peach and apple "nectarine", although this statement cannot be called fair in full. The fact is that real nectarines became known on European territory several centuries ago, and in China they have been grown for thousands of years. Externally, the “naked” peaches of nectarines are really similar to apple-peach fruits, but nevertheless it is better to consider them as a separate culture, the main characteristics of which are the following features of plants and the fruits themselves:
- four-meter-wide trees with dark green leaves;
- rounded, sometimes slightly elongated fruit shape;
- glossy surface of pink peel;
- relatively small sizes of peach-apples;
- juicy dense pulp of a light beige shade;
- sweet taste, with a slight touch of acid;
- small bone size, easily separable from the fleshy part.
Like all hybrids, apple and peach varieties are highly resistant to most diseases and pests of both crops. However, violation of the requirements for caring for the plant and the close proximity of infected plants can trigger problems, the most common of which are kleasterosporiosis, gum disease, curly, and aphid attack.
Did you know? Peach kernel contains a dangerous substance — hydrocyanic acid, which can cause serious poisoning of the body. True, in order to greatly harm the body will have to eat at least a dozen cores of such bones.
Frost resistance and zoning
Since peaches are heat-loving crops (like most varieties of apples), Recommended regions for growing a new hybrid form are the southern regions. In addition, trees feel good in the middle lane, although young seedlings will have to be covered for the first time from winter frosts (usually the base of plants is covered with spruce branches and a layer of snow, and the trunks and bases of skeletal branches are wrapped with burlap or other covering material).
Video: warming a young seedling for the winter
The rules of agricultural techniques for growing apple "nectarine" are based on the same requirements as caring for individual apple and peach cropsTherefore, the gardener should know about the most suitable places for growing trees, follow the recommendations for planting the selected seedlings, and in the future organize timely watering, fertilizing and pruning of the crown of growing plants.
Choosing a place to land
Given the thermophilicity of a hybrid plant, the best place to place it on the territory of the infield is open sunny areas, well protected from cold wind gusts. The optimum level of groundwater occurrence is not closer than 1.5 m from the surface of the earth, otherwise there is the possibility of flooding and further decay of the root system of plants. You should not plant culture on the slopes, because in springtime, due to snowmelt, it is likely that the trees will be flooded with melt water with all the ensuing consequences in the form of putrefactive diseases. As for the quality of the substrate in the selected place, it must necessarily be fertile soil, with a neutral level of acidity.
If the indicators exceed the norm, you will have to perform the liming of the soil, simply sprinkling lime on the site and watering it abundantly. As soon as the corresponding reaction forms on the surface, the fur must be collected and repeat the procedure again.
The collected cannons are added to the acidic soil at the rate of 500 g per 1 m² of territory, with medium acidity, the substrate can be fertilized - 400 g of cannon per 1 m², and with a slightly acidic reaction, 300 g of substance per analogous area is sufficient.
Important! A reliable way to check the level of soil acidity: to take soil samples from different parts of the prepared area and lower it into distilled water for 5 minutes. After that, the litmus sheet is deepened into the liquid and the result is evaluated.
The selection of a quality seedling is one of the most important events at the initial, preparatory stage. Since the young hybrid plant is very similar to pure crops, it is advisable to purchase planting material only in certified nurseries and retail outlets, the sellers of which will be able to document the belonging of the plant to the desired hybrid species. In addition, when examining the seedling, a characteristic trace of the vaccination should be noticeable, which is one of the main signs of the authenticity of the plant.
The root system of a quality specimen will always be whole and without damage.otherwise, one cannot hope for the successful adaptation of the plant in a new place. Also, spots and other signs of disease on any part of the young plant are not allowed., and at the slightest doubt in the health of the selected instance, it is better to find another.
Planting a hybrid of apple and peach is performed according to the same plan as the process of planting other fruit trees, following the sequence of actions:
- Having prepared the soil in the chosen place, organize suitable holes for the plants, placing them at a distance of 40–45 cm in one row and leaving 4–6 m between the rows themselves. The diameter of the planting pit can reach 100 cm with a depth of 70–80 cm. More accurate figures depend on the size of the rhizome of the prepared seedling.
- At the bottom of the pit, pour the soil mixture of chernozem, humus and superphosphate (enough 200 g per 10 kg of soil) to form a small mound with an apex about halfway through the entire height of the pit.
- Drive a 1.5 meter stake into the center of the prepared hole.
- Take the prepared seedling, carefully examine its root system again, and after removing the broken or rotten roots, place them in the center of the hole, carefully straightening the rhizome (there should be no tangled places).
- Dose the root system of the plant with the remaining substrate, making sure that there is no free space between the individual roots.
- Having leveled a surface, condense the soil and well pour it with the warm settled water.
The near-stem circle of a planted plant can be mulched with a layer of peat or sawdust, which is especially true in the case of prolonged droughts in a particular region. A layer of mulch will not only prevent excessive evaporation of moisture, but also limit the growth of weeds, which can also harm a fragile young plant.
Did you know? The first apple tree appeared on the territory of Russia in the XI century, and the first apple orchard — during the reign of Yaroslav the Wise. In the future, this place became known as the garden of the Kiev Pechersk Lavra.
Watering and feeding
The apple-peach hybrid needs enough moisture, after all, if it is lacking, the tree will not be able to form fruit ovaries, and if it succeeds, then in the future they will crumble. For this reason, during a prolonged drought, 2-3 buckets of liquid are poured into the near-stem circle of an adult culture, performing the procedure with a regularity of 2-3 times a month.
With moderate natural rainfall, watering can be reduced, the main thing is that the soil in the near-stem zone does not crack, while maintaining an optimal supply of moisture. As soon as the irrigation liquid is completely absorbed into the soil, loosening the earthnecessary to saturate the soil with oxygen and prevent the development of mold.
When growing "apple nectarine", one should not forget about the fertilizer of plants, especially since any hybrid responds positively to the introduction of nutrients. In just one season, 3 top dressings are performed: in early spring, during the flowering period of trees and after harvesting, alternating the use of mineral and organic compounds. Of the prepared minerals, superphosphate (300 g per 1 m²) and potassium phosphorus compounds (100 g per 1 m² during the flowering period of the trees) will be especially valuable for the described hybrid. Organic matter used by gardeners is often represented by liquid manure (2 kg of substance per 10 liters of water) or chicken manure infusion (2.5 kg per same amount of water), and it is from such substances that it is worth starting the annual feeding season.
Important! Any fertilizer should be used only after the next watering of the plantings so that the active substances do not burn the root system of the trees. Moreover, it is necessary to pour the prepared mixture no closer than 20-30 cm from the trunk of the hybrid.
Cropping and shaping the crown
Pruning the crown of a hybrid plant usually comes down to the sanitary removal of broken and damaged branches in the autumn, although some gardeners also perform pruning pruning, according to the requirements for ordinary peaches. The main types of crowns in this case can be discharged-tier, cup-shaped, spindle-shaped. Formative pruning is performed in the spring, before the active sap flow in the shoots begins.
Pest and Disease Control
Almost all hybrid varieties of garden crops are highly resistant to typical ailments and pests, but this does not mean that gardeners will not have to deal with certain problems. This also applies to the cultivation of apple and peach hybrids, and among the most frequent difficulties the following can be distinguished:
- Kleasterosporiosis. It is caused by spores of the fungus that are found on leaves, branches and in the soil of the trunk circle. The first sign of the disease is brown spots located on different parts of the shoots and leaves. Subsequently, they increase in size, dry out, and holes are formed in their place. Affected fruit branches will no longer bear fruit, which significantly reduces the yield of the tree. To prevent losses, it is better for gardeners to immediately collect the fallen leaves, to dig up the trunk circle in a timely manner, preventing the spread of fungal spores. In previously infected territories, with the advent of spring, it is advisable to spray all the trees with a 1% solution of Bordeaux mixture, calculated as 200 g of substance per 10 liters of water.
- Gum detection. It is provoked by mechanical damage to the bark of the stem of the tree. The cause may be overloading the branches with a crop, under the weight of which they break off, although damage to the bark is not uncommon when trimming rules are violated. Methods of prevention and control - organization of backups for individual branches, timely cleaning of wound surfaces of the cortex, treatment of damage with 1% solution of copper sulfate.
- Curl of leaves. Fungal disease, the main signs of which are brown swollen spots. Sometimes a whitish coating appears on top of them, often covering the entire sheet plate. With prolonged development of the disease and the lack of adequate treatment, it can provoke the death of the plant. To prevent the appearance and elimination of already manifested curliness, “apple nectarine” is treated with a 3% solution of Bordeaux mixture, and the soil in the near-stem zone is dug up onto a bayonet with shovels, carefully collecting and burning all weed vegetation.
- Aphid. Small pest, up to 7 mm in length, mainly dark in color. Eating the juice of shoots and leaves of plants, it leads to drying out and complete death of crops, so the sooner you find an insect on a tree, the greater the chances of preserving the crop of the apple-peach hybrid. The pest can be identified by white plaque, which remains in the places of its greatest activity. In addition, leaves after aphid activity curl into tubules and soon fall off. To combat the insect, you have to manually collect all the affected parts and burn them. The tree and neighboring plants are sprayed with a soap solution prepared in the ratio of 300 g of liquid soap to a bucket of warm water. Also, 200 g of ash can be added to the finished composition, which will enhance the positive qualities of the mixture.
- Moth A gray butterfly that produces gluttonous caterpillars eating the flesh of already formed fruits. The fruits affected by them quickly decay and fall from the trees, due to which the amount of yield is significantly reduced. To combat the pest, you have to uproot stumps on the site, burn plant debris and perform timely sanitary pruning of branches, which destroys all the caterpillars and partially adult specimens of the pest. In case of mass damage to plants, installation of hunting belts and treatment of the crown with Karbofos preparation previously diluted in water in a ratio of 2 g per 10 liters will not be superfluous.
Observing the requirements for agricultural technology for growing fruit crops, you will have no problems with either pure or hybrid types of cultivated plants, whether it is apple nectarine or a combination of an apple tree with apricot, plum or pear. As a reward, you can get a rich harvest of juicy and not quite ordinary fruits, which, for sure, will appeal to fruit lovers.