How to salt cabbage in a pan
In winter, the human body needs to be fully saturated with vitamins and minerals, which are so few at this time of year. Salted cabbage will be a real salvation, as it is a storehouse not only of vitamin C, but also of many other components necessary for a complete diet. Of course, the product can be bought at the market or in the store, but it’s worth trying to make a homemade preparation: in the article we will consider how to make it tasty.
Selection and preparation of ingredients
To make salted cabbage really tasty and crispy, you need to know how to choose the main ingredient.
Did you know? Since ancient times, the huge vitamin potential of cabbage has been known: one of the Roman generals — Cato the Elder, called her the first vegetable, which is not only tasty, but also extremely healthy. It was given to soldiers, since it was believed that the vegetable lifts the mood and heals any ailments.
When choosing a vegetable, you should adhere to several rules:
- A ripened head of cabbage must be firm, resilient. It is necessary to squeeze it with both hands - if it is deformed under the compressive force, then the fetus is unripe. Such a head of cabbage has few vitamins, and besides, it will not make a crispy salad.
- The vegetable should not have unnatural dark spots, spots and cracks - all this may indicate a fungal infection.
- The leaves at the base of the head should not be too thick, otherwise there is a threat to acquire a product that is oversaturated with nitrates. At the same time, it will weigh significantly less than a vegetable grown in acceptable conditions.
In addition to cabbage, carrots are often included in the salting process, which not only replenishes the taste and vitamin balance, but also serves as a kind of tinting ingredient. It is better to choose medium bright orange vegetables whose weight does not exceed 150 g - they are most fortified.
Important! Due to the high salt content, sauerkraut is contraindicated in large quantities to people suffering from edema and hypertension. It is also not recommended to abuse the product for diseases of the kidneys, pancreas, gastritis.
Recipes for harvesting cabbage in a pan for the winter
There are many recipes for this fragrant and rich in variety of tastes dishes, which will be a good addition to both the daily diet and the festive table. We suggest that you read the step-by-step instructions of the most popular and simple salted cabbage preparations.
3.5 kg50 minutes
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Grate carrots on a coarse grater.
- Wash cabbages, remove spoiled leaves. Remove 3-4 good upper large sheets from the heads, which will be covered with the bottom of the pan (if they are cracked or broken during removal, this is not scary).
- Chopped prepared heads of cabbage or chop finely.
- Pour the chopped cabbage into a large bowl or on a table, add carrots and mix well so that the carrot chips are evenly distributed. The resulting mass is divided into 4 parts.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt to each serving and mix, gently pressing, so that juice forms.
- At the bottom of the enameled pan, lay 4 large cabbage leaves, making a kind of pillow. In the process of pickling, they are also soaked and will be suitable for consumption.
- Put each slide in a pan one by one, ramming the layers with a strong pressure. After pressing the last layer in the pan, a lot of cabbage brine should form, which will cover the mixture.
- Leave the blank for several days indoors. An indispensable condition - the fermentation process should take place at room temperature.
- During the first 3 days, cabbage must be punctured with a stick so that air escapes.
Video recipeClassic recipe methodVideo recipe: Classic recipe method
After 3 days, salting can be eaten, boiled cabbage from it or left in storage in a cool place. When serving a classic pickled dish as a salad, you can add a little onion, cut into rings, and sprinkle everything with vegetable oil. To get the saturated color of the cabbage and fill it with an improved vitamin composition, you can add more carrots at the cooking stage.
Did you know? Carrots are 90% water. Not only the fruit is used in food, but also the tops, which are a nutritious additive to salads, soups, main dishes, and also tea is made from carrot greens.
With carrots and sugar
2.5 kg40 minutes
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Chop or chop cabbage, divide the resulting mass into three equal parts.
- To each slide add a pinch of grated carrots, a teaspoon of salt, mix.
- In a prepared pan, lay out each layer in turn and firmly tamp so that the juice is visible on the surface.
- Ready sourdough should be covered with a plate, put under a press. On the first day, it is better to install the pan with the workpiece in a container with warm (about + 30 ° C) water - so the fermentation process will begin faster.
- The next 2 days, the pan should be at room temperature. From time to time, you need to remove the press and make punctures with a wooden stick so that carbon dioxide comes out.
- Cabbage is fermented for 3 days, after which it is ready for use.
When serving, put a portion of the product on a plate, chop the onion finely or in rings, mash slightly, add to the cabbage. Next you need to sprinkle salad 1 tbsp. l sugar, sprinkle with butter and mix. Focusing on your own preferences, the amount of sugar can be changed up or down. It is advisable to choose onions from sweet varieties (for example, Yalta).
Video recipeWith carrots and sugarVideo Recipe: With carrots and sugar
Features of storage of blanks
There are several options for storing sauerkraut cooked in a pan for the winter. The first is to leave it in storage in the same container. In this case, it is necessary to remove the load, cover the dish with a lid and send to a cool place (in the heat, increased fermentation will be observed).
In private homes, the basement may become a product repository - here the workpiece will not take up much space and will retain its freshness. In an apartment, an alternative would be a refrigerator, where the temperature of the chamber does not exceed + 5 ° C. Sometimes a plaque forms on the top layer of pickling, which is in the pan - it must be removed with a spoon and discarded.
Important! Jellied cabbage can not be stored in an aluminum pan, since lactic acid is formed during the fermentation of the chopped vegetable, which will oxidize the metal. As a result, an unpleasant odor and taste will appear.
The second option involves transferring the finished product to glass 3-liter jars. An appetizer packed in a container must be poured with juice and closed with nylon (plastic) caps. The workpiece is also stored in a cool place. It should be noted that cabbage is perfectly preserved only when it is filled with brine, otherwise the quality of the product may decrease.
Another option is freezing. It is worth knowing that soon after defrosting the product loses its useful and taste qualities, so you need to eat it quickly enough. When sending cabbage to freeze, it is necessary to provide for its amount in the package, which can be eaten in a short time.
Cabbage salted in a pan is an excellent dish that will not only cheer up on gloomy winter days with its unique taste and aroma, but also fill the body with necessary vitamins and minerals.Take advantage of the provided recipes, and your dish will be appreciated.