Souring cabbage with heads of cabbage
Cabbage cabbage, fermented whole, in addition to ease of preparation, attracts with its good taste, maximum preservation of vitamins and versatility of use during the winter. A properly implemented process of sauerkraut ensures a tasty product with a minimum of money and effort. Read more about the methods of fermenting cabbage in brine, read further in the article.
Selection and preparation of ingredients
Before fermenting a vegetable, it must be prepared for this process. For this, forks of a late-white variety vegetable are selected, which have the density necessary for fruitful pickling. Each head of cabbage must be cleaned of the upper green leaves that are not thrown away, but are used to line the bottom of the barrel. The stalk-shaped stalks are cut with a sharp knife in a triangular cut to a depth to the middle of the cabbage head to improve the penetration of leaven into it. Large vegetable can be cut in half. Auxiliary ingredients in the form of water and salt also require selection. It is preferable to use settled water, and table salt is taken large.
Important! Do not ferment the cabbage with iodized salt, as this leads to a softening of the product, which does not crunch, as it should be properly fermented cabbage.
The recipe for cabbage yeast
Despite the simplicity of cooking sauerkraut with heads of cabbage, the methods of home cooking still vary somewhat, depending on the recipe used.
10 two weeks
small forks of cabbage
ground hot pepper
- Heads are freed from green leaves.
- The top of the stump is cut off.
- The peduncle is cut triangularly from the fork to its middle.
- The bottom of the tank, into which the entire workpiece of cabbage heads can fit, must be covered with previously removed green leaves.
- After this, it is the turn to put the heads of cabbage in a container and prepare a brine.
- Water is poured into the pan and set on fire.
- Salt, granulated sugar and ground hot pepper are added to it.
- The brine is brought to a boil, removed from the stove and cooled to room temperature.
- Heads of chilled brine are poured in such a way that they are completely covered with it.
- The product is left to ferment at room temperature for 2 weeks.
- After that, he moves to a cool place.
Did you know? The experience of many decades tells people that you should not engage in pickling cabbage in the full moon in order to avoid getting a soft, too sour, or even spoiled product. The best time for such an operation is 5 or 6 days after the new moon.
- All green leaves are removed from the forks.
- Half of the head of cabbage is shredded.
- Whole forks in the area of the stalk make cruciform deep cuts.
- Salt is poured into the incisions.
- Carrots are rubbed on a coarse grater.
- Shredded raw materials are combined with grated carrots.
- The mixture is salted with the remaining salt.
- Green cabbage leaves previously removed from the forks are laid at the bottom of the tank.
- Whole forks are stacked on top.
- A mixture of shredded cabbage and grated carrots is placed in the space between them.
- The forks are covered with the remaining green leaves and gauze.
- Above put oppression.
- The product is aged for 11 days at a temperature of + 15 ° C to + 18 ° C.
- After that, the container is moved to a cool place for storage.
Features of storage of blanks
Harvesting of sauerkraut with cabbages for the winter, placed in a cool place, can be stored for 6 to 8 months.
Important! When foam appears on the surface of the fermented product, it is necessary to pierce the vegetables with a thin sharp object to facilitate the release of carbon dioxide formed from them.
The value of fermenting cabbage with heads of cabbage lies in the ability of this product to retain twice as much vitamin as shredded vegetable. In addition, from whole forks you can cook more dishes in the winter (for example, cabbage rolls) than from a crushed product.