Cherry on cognac: tincture recipe
Home-made alcohol has always been highly regarded by the general public, which is why the recipes for using standard grapes, cherries or even raspberries for making drinks have been passed down from generation to generation for decades. One of the good examples of such recipes can be considered tincture of cherry on cognac, and how to choose the ingredients and what methods of their preparation should be paid attention to - read on.
Selection and preparation of ingredients
The main ingredient of the mentioned tincture is cherry, so the selection of berries should be given special attention. There are no ultra-high requirements for a particular variety, the main thing is that all the berries are ripe, juicy enough and fragrant, which directly affects the taste characteristics of the finished product. A sweet and sour cherry is a good option, not necessarily fresh (you can use frozen options). Of course, all berries should be juicy and intact, without signs of the presence of diseases and pests. True, some housewives use slightly spoiled fruits for tincture, but in order not to experiment, it is better to do without them. Seeds from peeled cherries are removed using a regular pin.
Did you know? Cherry is an excellent helper in the fight against epilepsy. Before the advent of modern drugs, traditional healers advised it for use by people prone to epileptic seizures.
The best recipes
The most famous and easiest to use is deservedly considered the traditional recipe for making cherry tinctures on cognac, which can be done without any complicated ingredients. However, the old recipe is not inferior in popularity to the previous one, therefore, in order not to be mistaken in your choice, it is worth familiarizing yourself with the main possible options.
1 L 20 min.
Energy value per 100 g:
- Rinse the cherry berries under running water and separate from the stalks, selecting only whole and healthy specimens.
- Poke each berry with a toothpick in several places at once (no need to remove the seeds this time).
Pour the berry fruits into a prepared clean jar, add sugar and fill with cognac.
- Close the jar with a vacuum lid and pump out excess air from the container.
- Replace the special lid with a regular capron or roll a container with berries with metal lids.
- Place the liqueur in a cool dark place for 2 months, shaking the contents of the jar at least once every 2-3 days.
Video recipeClassic Recipe Video Recipe: Classic Recipe
Important! Given the presence of seeds in the berries, the maximum shelf life of such a billet is 10-12 months. Subsequently, the toxic substances contained in them will fall into the juice, which can lead to poisoning when consumed.
1 L 45 min.
5-7 pcs. (not necessary)
Energy value per 100 g:
- Wash and peel the cherry stems from the stalks or leaves. Remove the seeds from the fruit, and transfer the flesh into a deep container so that it releases the juice.
- As soon as this happens (usually 10–20 minutes is enough), add sugar to the berries and shake the mixture several times to evenly distribute the sweet product.
- Mix the leaves and cloves with the cherry, mixing everything again. Put the mixture in a jar or bottle with a wide neck and pour cognac.
- Close the container tightly and shake well several times. Place the tincture in storage in a warm and dark place at room temperature.
- After a month, a jar of cherry tincture should be removed and, filtered through cheesecloth, bottled for further storage. During a thirty-day infusion, the can with the drink is shaken at least 1 time in 5 days.
- After a few days, take another look at the finished drink and, if a precipitate appears in it, strain it through cotton wool, achieving a high purity of the liquid.
Video recipeSimple recipeVideo recipe: Simple recipe
Important! Do not throw out the cherries remaining after straining, because they can serve as an excellent ingredient for confectionery.
2 l15–20 min.
from one fruit
Energy value per 100 g:
- First you need to unfreeze frozen cherries and crush the pulp so that it better releases juice.
- Then pour the berries into a jar, pouring the juice that has appeared along with it.
- Add the prepared cinnamon, zest, cloves, honey to the cherry and mix everything carefully.
- Pour the prepared mixture with cognac and, shaking well, place in a dark and cool storage for 1 month, regularly shaking the jar for better mixing of the ingredients (at least once every 2-3 days).
- Pass the prepared monthly tincture through cheesecloth and pour into bottles for long-term further storage. A well-infused and properly filtered product should not have a precipitate, and its color will almost always be pink-reddish.
Video recipeOld recipeVideo recipe: Old recipe
Drink strength: how many degrees should tincture have
How many degrees a ready-made cherry tincture will have depends on the quality and strength of the cognac, as well as the fermentation power of the cherry itself.On average, the strength of such a drink ranges from 20-30 degrees, but if alcohol, moonshine or fortified vodka is used instead of cognac, it is possible that these values will increase to 40 degrees (sometimes higher).
Since this alcoholic product is very popular with women and often becomes an acceptable alternative to male varieties of alcohol, one should not strive for excessive tincture strength, it should be mild in taste.
There are no clear rules for the use of cherry tinctures on cognac, but the main condition is moderation. Do not forget that we are talking about an alcoholic drink, therefore, in order to exclude the body’s addiction to alcohol, it is important to use tincture in dosage.
Did you know? Cognac very well dilates blood vessels, thereby contributing to the elimination of headaches. In addition, drinking 15–20 g of this product daily can significantly reduce the likelihood of developing cardiovascular ailments.
Otherwise, subject to all the requirements for the preparation and use of cherry-cognac tincture, it will not be able to harm the body, and you will only have to enjoy its pleasant taste and aroma at the right time.