Beijing cabbage billets for winter
Beijing cabbage has a more delicate taste than other types of plant crops. In addition, it is very juicy and contains in its composition many useful substances necessary for the human body. There are many ways to harvest this healthy vegetable for the future.
Selection and preparation of ingredients
It is good if the vegetable grows in its own garden, and there is no doubt about its quality. When buying cabbage, you need to pay attention to the following points:
- Preferably buy cabbage without packaging. So it’s easier to see. If the head is placed in a cling film and condensation is noticed inside the package, then this product is stale and starts to deteriorate.
- Sheets must be dry. If they contain small drops of water, which is added in order to refresh the product, then the taste of the product is partially lost.
- There should be no signs of decay on the leaves., small brownish spots.
- It’s better to stop your choice on small heads of medium density. For preparations for the winter I’ll come up and more copies, the main thing is that they are fresh and juicy. Yellow cabbage with large leaves will obviously be overripe and not juicy;
- This vegetable has no smell. If a specific smell emanates from the product, it was grown using chemicals or processed before being transported.
- There are different types of Beijing cabbage, so the color of heads of cabbage can be from yellowish to green. It should be taken into account not the color of the vegetable, but the saturation of the shade.
Beijing cabbage must be prepared for further processing (freezing, pickling, pickling, canning).
The preparation process itself takes place in the following sequence:
- examine the head, remove the yellowed leaves, cut off the base of the stem;
- wash thoroughly with cool water;
- hold in warm salted water for 20 minutes - to get rid of insects;
- rinse again under cool tap water.
Now cabbage can be pickled with vinegar, salted or frozen. As for the other ingredients, the pods of red hot pepper can be replaced with dried chili powder.
Did you know? Beijing cabbage is of Chinese origin. In China, this vegetable has been grown for more than 5000 years.
The best recipes
The simple recipes below are best suited for harvesting Chinese cabbage for the winter. This is freezing and preserving the product by salting.
The easiest way to harvest: freeze
2 kg60 minutes
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Wash Beijing cabbage well and dry on a towel.
- Cut the leaves into strips or slices. If the vegetable is frozen for the subsequent preparation of cabbage rolls, then you need to disassemble it on leaf plates. Next, the workpiece must be placed in boiled water and let the contents stand for 10 minutes. After the specified time, remove the vegetable from the water, cool and dry on a towel.
- Arrange into bags of polyethylene, trying to release air from them completely. In the process of packing the leaves, you need to ensure that they are well straightened, without creases. Otherwise, they may break.
- Place bags in the freezer.
Important! It is necessary to pack the vegetable in bags for freezing in batches, as this product must be used immediately and not be subjected to repeated deep cooling.
A simple recipe for salting
10 cans of 2 L each 90 minutes
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Washed heads of Beijing cabbage chopped in half.
- Tighten the vegetables in a 200 liter barrel.
- On the upper layer of the workpiece, stones are placed as oppression.
- Prepare a brine of 9 liters of water and 7 kg of salt.
- The resulting saline solution is poured into a barrel.
- The barrel should be in a cool room. Best of all - in the cellar.
- After about 3-4 weeks, the salting will be ready.
Video recipeA simple salting recipe Video recipe: A simple salting recipe
From such a workpiece you can make a delicious Beijing salad with the addition of tomatoes.
Did you know? Regular inclusion of Beijing cabbage in the diet helps with headaches, depression, nervous disorders and diabetes, improves cardiovascular activity. In Japan, this vegetable is considered a source of longevity.
17-19 l 3-4 hours
red hot pepper
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Prepared heads of cabbage cut into 4-6 parts.
- Place the vegetables cut in this way in the pan as tightly as possible.
- Dissolve salt in water at the rate of: 1 liter - 2 tbsp. tablespoons of salt. For 1 kg of cabbage leaves 1 liter of brine. Pour slices of vegetables in a saucepan with the resulting salted solution.
- Then you need to put oppression on top. To do this, on top of the contents of the pan should put an inverted plate on which to put a five-liter plastic bottle of water.
- Leave the pan for a day at room temperature so that the vegetables let the juice flow and the liquid floods the plate. After the specified time, the yoke is removed, and the cabbage is taken out.
- Hot peppers, peeled garlic are twisted in a meat grinder. You can use a blender.
- Coriander is added to the resulting mixture and everything is thoroughly mixed.
- Hot paste is applied to cabbage leaves and to slices of each part.
- Vegetables processed in this way are placed as densely as possible in a pan.
- Above place oppression (inverted plate and a container of water).
- The appetizer should be in the pan for three days. At the same time, every day, for a couple of minutes, you need to remove oppression. This is necessary so that the salting process is uniform.
Important! Before carrying out the application of sharp ingredients, hands must be protected with gloves so as not to burn the skin with sharp spices.
Video recipeKorean kimchi Video recipe: Korean kimchi
Features of storage of blanks
Frozen Beijing cabbage is stored for up to a year. It is better to prepare pickles from this vegetable in the fall, then the workpieces can be stored all winter in a cool place. At home, it can be a refrigerator shelf, a subfloor, a cellar.
Unfortunately, fresh this healthy vegetable is not stored for a long time. But the preparations will allow you to enjoy dishes of Beijing cabbage throughout the winter period, and it will also be possible to offer them to guests as an unusual spicy snack.