Pickled onion rings rings for the winter in jars
Many housewives serve crispy pickled onions as an independent snack, and also use it as an integral component for various salads and marinating skewers. To prepare such a blank for the winter, you can use large heads, cut into rings, as well as small fruits that fit comfortably in a jar. Recommendations for the selection and preparation of ingredients, the best recipes for preparing pickled onions and storage features of the blanks are listed further in the article.
Pickled onions have a pleasant sweet and sour taste, in which there is practically no pungent smell and bitterness, but at the same time retains most of their useful properties, being a real bank of vitamins. But in order to make the workpiece tasty and crispy, you need to choose high-quality ingredients for it and properly prepare them.
Did you know? An inscription was found on the walls of the Cheops pyramid confirming the use of onions for feeding builders pyramids in ancient Egypt.
At the same time, you should adhere to such recommendations:
- it is best to pickle small fruits - they fit well in a jar and give the appetizer an aesthetic appearance;
- the heads selected for conservation must have a flat surface without damage and rot;
- it is recommended to pick dense fruits with juicy feathers for pickling;
- if a very sharp variety is used to prepare the pickled billet, then the fruits must first be immersed in boiling water for several minutes - this will help eliminate excess bitterness;
- when marinating large heads, they need to be cut into small pieces - the thickness of each ring or half-ring should be about 0.5 cm so that they retain their shape well and remain crispy.
Step-by-step recipes for pickled onion rings in the winter
There are many ways you can marinate onions. In the standard version, it is enough to pour the fruits with hot marinade, but there are other recipes for the preparation, in which, in addition to the main ingredient, various vegetables and spices are used.
Important! To quickly peel a small onion, you can dip it in hot water and then quickly rinse the bulbs with cold water.
Each product gives the finished dish certain flavoring notes, so with their help you can get many options for pickled snacks. The simplest and most popular recipes for preparing this workpiece with step-by-step instructions for action are listed further in the article.
The classic recipe for pickled onion rings in jars
1 can for 0.5 L20 minutes / 24 hours
Energy value per 100 g:
- Wash and peel the onion, cut off the top and bottom. Chop the onion into thin half rings.
- Prepare a clean jar. Put sliced vegetables into it, ramming them tightly with your hands.
- Mix wine vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan. Boil the mixture on the stove, and then remove it from the heat.
- Pour vegetable rings with hot marinade. Leave the snack jar to cool at room temperature.
- When the jar has completely cooled, cover it with a plastic lid and place in the refrigerator for 1 day.
Classic recipe for pickled onion rings in jarsVideo recipe: Classic recipe for pickled onion rings in jars
In a weakly acid marinade
3 cans per 0.5 l45 minutes
Energy value per 100 g:
- Put a small container of water on the fire. The heads of vegetables to peel.
- Wait for the water to boil, immerse the peeled fruits in it. Cook vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Remove the onion from boiling water, discard the fruits in a colander to drain the remaining liquid. Then put the heads in jars.
- Dissolve salt and sugar in a saucepan with water. Put the container on the stove and bring the marinade to a boil, and then pour the vinegar. Boil the mixture for 2-3 minutes, then remove the stewpan from the stove.
- Pour jars of onion with hot marinade, top with lids. To sterilize, lower the filled jars into boiling water for 10 minutes, and then remove and roll up.
Did you know? Onion pulp contains about 6% sugar, therefore, after frying the vegetable, caustic substances evaporate and the onion acquires a sweetish flavor.
With dill and pepper
2 cans per 0.5 l50 minutes
black pepper (peas)
Energy value per 100 g:
- Peel the onion heads and garlic cloves from the husk. Remove seeds and stalk from bell pepper, thoroughly wash all vegetables. Pour 1 liter of water into the pan and place it on the stove.
- When the water boils, add citric acid to it. Place the bulbs in a boiling solution for 2-3 minutes, and then fold them in a colander so that the glass is excess liquid.
- Cut bell pepper into thin rings.
- Prepare sterilized jars. Put garlic and bay leaf on the bottom of each bowl.
- Fill the jars with onion heads and rings of bell pepper, alternately laying the vegetables in layers. Put dill branches on the topmost layer.
- Make a marinade. To do this, pour 1 liter of water in a saucepan and put it on a stove, dissolve sugar and salt in a container. After boiling the solution, add vinegar, remove the mixture from the heat.
- Pour jars of vegetables with hot marinade. Seal containers with metal caps.
Important! Rolled hot cans should be placed vertically down with the neck and wrap up well. After the blanks are completely cooled, they can be stored.
In beetroot juice
4 cans of 0.5 l1 hour 20 minutes
Energy value per 100 g:
- Peel vegetables and rinse them in clean water.
- Grate the beets, put them in a deep bowl and leave for about half an hour - the root vegetables should let the juice go.
- Put the grated beets in a metal saucepan and pour cold water, put on the stove. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then remove it from the heat and strain through a fine sieve.
- Pour the resulting beetroot broth into a stewpan, pour sugar and salt into the same. Put the container on fire, and after boiling the marinade, dissolve citric acid in it.
- Fill prepared cans with onion heads. Pour them with hot beetroot marinade and roll them up.
The rules and shelf life of the workpieces depend on the capacity in which they are located. In a jar with a regular plastic lid, you can keep the snack in the refrigerator for no more than 1 week. To preserve the pickled onions for a longer period, it must be preserved.
For this, the fruits are stacked in sterilized jars, which are hermetically sealed with metal lids. In this form, the workpiece can be kept in a room with an air temperature of not more than + 14 ° C for 1 year.
Important! Jars with pickled onions should be protected from direct sunlight - under the influence of bright light, the shelf life of canned preparations is reduced and the taste of the product is worsened.
Pickled onions go well with meat and fish dishes, and its piquant taste and healthy composition have a beneficial effect on the person, adding a pleasant variety to the everyday winter diet. Using the recipes listed in this article, you can choose the option of a snack that you like best. And subject to simple storage rules, you can enjoy a delicious pickled vegetable until spring.