How to pickle broccoli
Salting broccoli for the winter is rather unusual for our housewives. But this type of cabbage is considered one of the most useful. Therefore, if you want to try something unusual, try to cook it separately or as part of a mixed platter. It will be both tasty and healthy. In the article you will find information about the simplest recipes with photos and detailed instructions.
Selection and preparation of ingredients
When purchasing broccoli for salting, pay attention to the following points:
- buds should be bluish, without yellowness. Yellowness is a sign that the vegetable is overripe;
- heads are uniform;
- diameter - about 20 cm, weight - about 500-700 g;
- the shape is round.
Did you know? In large cabbage, the stem is not edible, so you should not purchase it. In young specimens, stems can be used as food, but lignified they are not tasty.
Do not buy wet cabbage. To imitate the freshness of stale specimens, they are immersed in water. In order to salt vegetables, choose fresh, dense heads without damage. Color - dark green, gray. The head is cut into individual inflorescences and washed. You may need to prescribe cabbage in hot water for 3-4 minutes according to a prescription. Having taken out inflorescences from hot water, they are immersed in cold.
Broccoli cabbage recipes for the winter
Broccoli is considered an exotic vegetable that resembles cauliflower in properties. This type of cabbage is especially popular in India and the Middle East. It is juicy, fresh, solid and tasty, if cooked properly. Boiling water destroys its cells and contributes to the appearance of a specific smell, which many do not like, so it is used more often in salads than in soups.
It is also often fried or baked. If white cabbage can be salted, fermented and pickled, then the simplest recipe for harvesting broccoli is pickling. It will preserve the taste and color of vegetables. Acetic acid acts as a preservative. It inhibits the action of pathogenic microorganisms. The spices used add flavor and added flavor to the dish.
The classic way to pickle
half a glass (130 ml)
Energy value (per 100 g):
- The cabbage head is divided into separate inflorescences, they are washed and damaged ones are removed.
- Garlic is peeled, washed with herbs and finely chopped.
- Wash with soda and sterilize cans and lids.
- Pour water into a saucepan, add oil, spices, salt, sugar. Boil for 8 minutes. At the end of cooking, vinegar is added.
- Stack cabbage, herbs and garlic in prepared jars.
- Pour boiling marinade.
- Spin prepared lids.
table vinegar 9%
2 tbsp. spoons for 1 can
Energy value (per 100 g):
- Cabbage is divided into inflorescences, cut off damage, washed.
- Cans are washed with soda and sterilized, the lids are boiled in water for 3 minutes.
- Wash greens. You can chop, but it’s not necessary.
- Garlic is peeled, washed and chopped.
- Boil water for the marinade. Salt, sugar are added there, and 6 minutes after the start of cooking, vinegar.
- Cabbage, greens and garlic are placed in jars and poured with marinade. Bookmark ratio: 60% cabbage and 40% marinade.
- Prepare a pan for sterilization. A towel or a special grill is laid at the bottom. Liter cans are sterilized for 40 minutes.
- Then corked with lids.
- Air cooling. But you can wrap it with a warm towel so that the hot vegetables absorb the brine properly.
Important! Use baking soda to wash cans. It destroys microorganisms, but is harmless to humans. Unlike detergents, soda residues are washed off well with water.
1 head (weight 500-600 g)
ground black and red pepper
Energy value (per 100 g):
- Cabbage is divided into inflorescences, washed.
- Stack in a bowl and add salt. Then add water and leave for 20 minutes. The goal is to remove insects, if they are between the flowers of inflorescences. In salt water, they all float to the surface.
- After 20 minutes, the cabbage is removed and rinsed with water.
- 2 pots are prepared: with boiling water and cold. Inflorescences are immersed in boiling water for 4 minutes, and then immediately immersed in cold water. Blanching hard vegetables is aimed at softening them. In this form, they are more quickly saturated with brine.
- Pepper is cut into rings or straws. You can use different color peppers to give the dish beauty.
- Carrots are cut on a special grater for Korean carrots. The pieces are long and thin.
- Garlic is peeled, washed, chopped.
- Prepared vegetables are mixed. Salt, sugar and spices are added to them. Mix thoroughly. Dressed with vegetable oil. Add water and vinegar.
- Leave the mixture for 2-3 hours so that the vegetables absorb the marinade.
- After 2 hours, the salad is laid out in banks. Pour marinade.
- Prepare a pan for sterilization. At the bottom lay a special grill and put the banks. Sterilization time - 40 minutes for liter containers.
- Then close the lids and leave to cool by air.
- The next day they can be removed to a permanent storage location.
Features of storage of blanks
Vegetable mixtures, which were prepared without sterilization under nylon covers, are stored in the refrigerator. Shelf life is about 3-4 weeks. Salads, marinades and allsorts, closed with sterilization, are stored for about 2-3 years. Storage location should be cool. Direct sunlight should not fall on the banks. Under its influence, the accelerated breakdown of vitamins occurs.
Important! For the preparation of marinades, use enameled dishes or stainless steel. It should not enter into chemical reactions with salts or acids that are present in marinades.
The benefits of broccoli for the body are huge. Her use for several months reduces the level of "bad cholesterol", the risk of cancer. If possible, include this healthy product in your diet. Cook cabbage according to these or other recipes on our website and delight your family with delicious dishes.