At what age can lentils be given to a child
Lentils have a lot of useful properties, but many mothers are not sure whether to cook it for their, for example, one-year-old child. In this article you will find the answer to this question, as well as all the useful information about eating lentils.
Lentil Vitamin Composition
This type of Legume is full of vitamins and nutrients.
Nutritional value of this product:
- calories: 295 kcal;
- fats: 1.5 g;
- proteins: 24 g;
- carbohydrates: 46.3 g.
Did you know? The protein content in lentils reaches 26%, which puts it in third place among vegetables in this indicator.
Chemical composition (macro- and microelements):
|K (potassium)||672 mcg|
|Si (silicon)||80 mg|
|Mg (magnesium)||80 mg|
|Ph (phosphorus)||390 mg|
|Fe (iron)||11.8 mg|
|Co (cobalt)||11.6 mcg|
|Mn (Manganese)||1.1 mg|
|Cu (copper)||660 mcg|
|Mo (molybdenum)||77.5 mcg|
|Se (selenium)||19.6 mcg|
|Zn (zinc)||2.4 mg|
Vitamin composition of the product:
|B1 (thiamine)||0.5 mg|
|B2 (riboflavin)||0.2 mg|
|B4 (choline)||96 mg|
|B5 (pantothenic)||1.2 mg|
|AT 6||0.5 mg|
|AT 9||90 mcg|
|C (ascorbic acid)||4.4 mg|
As you can see, this plant contains a lot of vitamins, each of which in its own way is beneficial for the body. For example, B vitamins are involved in the metabolism and are responsible for metabolism.
They support the processes of growth and development, the work of the heart, nervous and digestive systems. Some of these vitamins are involved in hematopoiesis, the formation of new cells, which is very important at the stage of intrauterine development.
Did you know? The peoples of ancient Greece, Egypt and Babylon greatly appreciated the described plant. It was both bread and meat for the poor, and was also widely used as a medicine in folk medicine to cure various diseases..
Vitamin C heals bone and connective tissues, participates in metabolism and strengthens the immune system. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant, participates in the production of collagen, and slows down the aging process of the skin. It also prevents blood clots from forming, normalizes blood pressure, and nourishes nerve tissue. Vitamin K plays a large role in the health of the kidneys, in addition, it helps the body absorb other vitamins.
Can I give a child lentils
In terms of protein content, this plant is second only to soy. In ancient times, it was even believed that the use of it by children improves their mental abilities and diligence.Indeed, lentils are a storehouse of useful substances, and many of them are necessary for a growing body, so you can and should cook it for your child. This bean has a positive effect on its activity, health and growth. More children like to eat lentils as part of other dishes.
The benefits and harms of the product
- Lentils have a beneficial effect on the following organs and systems:
- Muscle. A large amount of protein contained in these legumes is an essential element for muscle tissue. After hard training or physical activity, protein intake will reduce muscle pain.
- Heart and blood vessels. Trace elements improve blood flow and promote the distribution of oxygen and nutrients throughout the body. Fiber lowers cholesterol in the blood, and folic acid makes the walls of blood vessels strong and elastic.
- Brain. B vitamins contribute to the normal functioning of the brain, as well as improving memory and mindfulness.
- Gastrointestinal tract. A large amount of fiber contained in lentils contributes to the normal functioning of the intestines, eliminates constipation and prevents the development of colon cancer.
- Leather. The substances in the plant actively fight damage from ultraviolet radiation and maintain a healthy water balance in the skin, protecting it from dryness.
- Immunity. You can often hear that lentils are recommended as a prophylactic for cancer. Selenium in the composition slows down the growth of tumors, accelerates the growth of cells that destroy metastases.
Important! When cooking lentils, it is important to consider its variety. For example, the cooking time for red is up to 30 minutes, brown for up to 20 minutes, green for up to 40 minutes.
- Also, it is worth highlighting the benefits of this plant for women:
- During pregnancy the mother often has an acute iron deficiency, which lentils can make up for. It also virtually eliminates the risk of premature birth.
- During menstruation this bean enriches the body with elements that it is beginning to miss, especially iron.
And for men, the main benefit is that this variety of legumes can normalize the production of testosterone, estrogen and progesterone, which play an important role in sexual health.The described product is not harmful if used properly. The main thing is to get acquainted with its contraindications and with special care to feed them young children.
At what age can children be given
In this matter, the opinions of doctors often differ. Some argue that from 8 months the baby can already be given lentils. However, it is more often believed that until the child is two years old, it is better not to do this.
This is due to several factors:
- Legumes are heavy food for the digestive system of the baby, at the age of two years it is still underdeveloped. When used at an earlier age, children produce a large amount of gas, as well as painful colic. There is also a great risk that the product will come out undigested, which means that it did not bring benefits.
- Rarely lentils can cause allergies. The older the child, the lower the likelihood of an allergic reaction.
- The product is dangerous for young children who are prone to dysbiosis. It is not advised to use it for problems with the intestines and stomach.
For better digestibility, it is recommended to give lentils to the child as part of other dishes. It is good to add to soup, casseroles or salads. Serve the product yourself is better from the age of three. If this is the first time you give a bean to a child, then carefully monitor the reaction to it.
It is necessary to introduce it into the diet gradually, in small portions. When asked about how much lentils can be given to a child per day, there is no exact answer, but it is not recommended to give immediately more than 200 g. Any rash, pain, fever and runny nose are an occasion to see a doctor.
- Even such a useful product has a number of contraindications:
- It contains substances such as purines. If the body has an impaired purine metabolism, then eating lentils can trigger the development of gout.
- Eating high amounts of protein can interfere with the epithelium of the kidney channels. These legumes also contain oxalate compounds, which contribute to the formation of stones in the urinary canals.
- Like other representatives of the Bobov family, the diversity under consideration often causes flatulence.
Important! If you have any doubts about eating lentils or side effects, you should consult a doctor.
Lentils are still not widespread in our country, but more and more people are learning about its rich composition and beneficial properties. From this product, you can make many tasty and healthy dishes that are recommended to be offered to children from two to three years old.