Features of care and cultivation of strawberries Darselect
Summer residents and farmers who grow strawberries for themselves and for business, choose the best varieties. To them rightly applies Darselect. The characteristics of the variety and the features of its cultivation are considered in this article.
Variety selection history
Darselect was bred by French breeders in 1998.. The originator is Societe Civile Darbonne. Common parents, Parker and Elsanta, were chosen as parents.
Did you know? Strawberry berries are not only red, but also white. For example, Pineberry variety has white fruits, seeds are red, and the taste resembles pineapple.
Description and characteristics of the variety
Darselect belongs to the early varieties of short daylight hours. The berries ripen very quickly, a month after flowering or earlier. Bushes bear fruit only once per season: in the greenhouse - at the end of May, and in the open ground - in the second decade of June.
To plant the fruit buds of the next crop, a short daylight hours (no longer than 12 hours) are required. Suitable conditions come already in late August - early September, when it is not so hot.
Description of the bush and berries
The appearance of plants is different from other varieties. The bushes are strong, tall, not sprawling, but compact. The leaves are large, upright, dark green in color, not very thick. The root system is quite powerful. The number of whiskers is moderate: they are enough for breeding, but they do not thicken the landing.
Thanks to this composition of the bush, all its parts are ventilated, and the berries get enough sunny color. The main advantage of Darselect is the excellent quality of the berries.
Description of the fruit:
- the average weight of the fruit is 18–35 g, the maximum weight is 50 g;
- the shape of a regular cone with a rounded nose, the first and last berries can be corrugated;
- the color is red-brick, with moderate gloss or without it;
- the surface is dense, smooth to the touch;
- the flesh is light red in color, dense, juicy, but not watery, without a crunch;
- the taste is very sweet with sourness and caramel note, with a rich strawberry aroma, a tasting score of 4.8 out of 5 points;
- easy to carry transportation and stored relatively long;
- universal application: fresh and processed.
Yield strawberries Darselect quite high. With average care, about 800 g of berries can be removed from one bush. If you carefully follow all the rules of agricultural technology and intensively nourish the plants, then you can collect 1-1.2 kg of fruit from one bush. The berries ripen gradually, so the fruiting period stretches for 2 weeks.
Important! The peak yield falls on the 2nd and 3rd years, and from the 4th year, indicators are falling. Therefore, it is recommended to renew the landing every 4 years.
Frost and drought resistance
The French variety Darselect feels good in the continental climate of Russia. With good watering, plants easily tolerate heat up to + 40 ° C. They can withstand a short period of drought. But with a constant lack of watering, yield decreases and the quality of berries deteriorates (voids form inside the fruit, the fruit breaks off with the pulp).
In hot weather at + 30 ° C, it needs to be shaded or covered with a UV mesh so that there are no lunges. Withstand strawberry plants and frost: in open form - -16 ... -20 ° С, and in shelter - up to -40 ° С. Bushes are very sensitive during flowering, in May: with the last frost, flower stalks can suffer. If there is such a danger, it is better to cover the bushes with non-woven material.
How to choose the best seedlings for planting when buying?
To be sure of the quality of seedlings, it is worth buying from trusted sellers. It is even better to make such a purchase in specialized nurseries. They sell already healthy seedlings that take root more quickly, are not afraid of diseases and pests and are characterized by productivity. This is especially important if you plan to plant strawberries for commercial purposes.
When choosing seedlings, you need to pay attention to its appearance:
- in spring, the seedling, in addition to old leaves, should have 2-3 young;
- leaves are strong, leathery, pubescent, beautiful green with a characteristic sheen; pale color and defects (wrinkles and spots) - signs of disease;
- horns are healthy, powerful, not thinner than 0.7 cm, light green in color;
- roots are dense, branched, not shorter than 7 cm.
Basic work before landing
Planting strawberries is a laborious and painstaking job. So that this work is not in vain, it is advisable to follow the recommendations of specialists regarding the preparatory work and the planting process.
Preparation and site selection
A correctly selected place very much affects how soon the seedlings will be accepted, how it will grow to develop and bear fruit.
- location - a flat place open to the sun, preferably on the south or south-west side of the garden, lowlands where moisture is collected are unacceptable;
- soil - black earth, loam, sandy loam or dark gray forest soil, limestone and salt marsh are not suitable;
- acidity - in the range of 5-6.5;
- groundwater - not closer than 60 cm to the surface;
- good predecessors are parsley, dill, onions, garlic, beans or peas.
The selected site must be prepared:
- clear of weed grass;
- dig deep;
- make humus (along with digging);
- when the site is infected with wireworm or chafer beetle larvae, it must be treated with ammonia water (during cultivation or digging).
Seedlings bought in a specialized nursery do not need preparation, because it should already be processed by the necessary means.
Own seedlings or purchased on the market must be prepared:
- seedlings purchased in advance must be placed in a cellar or other cool place in 5 days;
- before planting, too long roots (more than 10 cm) need to be shortened to 7–9 cm;
- soak for 1.5–2 hours in a solution of growth biostimulant, in garlic or honey solution;
- Immediately before planting, you can dip the roots into an earthenware mash to protect against drying out.
Direct strawberry planting
Strawberries can be planted both in early spring and early autumn. But experienced gardeners prefer to do this in the fall, more precisely in late August or early September. Bushes planted at this time have time to take root before the onset of cold weather, tolerate winter well, and in spring give the first crop.
Important! During spring planting, you can remove all the flowers. This will contribute to an increase in crop next year.
- Make holes according to the scheme: the distance between plants is 40 cm, between rows - up to 1 m, depth - 15 cm. It should turn out 4 bushes per 1 m.
- Add humus to the bottom of the recess if it has not been applied to the soil beforehand, or the NPK mineral complex (potassium fertilizer can be replaced with wood ash).
- Pour water into the well (1 L).
- When the water is absorbed, distribute the seedlings in the pits.
- Fill the roots with earth so that the growth point is at ground level.
- The earth is compacted and watered again.
- Cover the soil with straw, hay or peat mulch.
Another landing method: to plant seedlings in holes in black agrofibre. This material retains moisture in the ground, prevents weeds from growing, and keeps berries clean, protecting them from spoilage.
Due to its unpretentiousness, Darselect is very much in demand for industrial cultivation. But creating optimal conditions only improves productivity.
Strawberry plants react negatively to weeds. Therefore, weeding is an obligatory requirement when caring for Darselect. Regular loosening of the soil (after each irrigation and rain) is also necessary to ensure aeration of the soil. This contributes to the normal development and strengthening of the roots. These activities need to start in early spring.
There is no need to care for the soil if you plant it with black agrofiber during planting. Another option for mulching is the use of biomaterials during flowering, for example, sawdust, straw, pine needles, dry larch.
A layer of mulch is laid after cleaning the soil from weeds and loosening. Experts recommend using mulch, because it holds moisture in the ground, prevents the growth of weeds and saves time on caring for plants.
Fertilizers and watering
Darselect is a moisture-loving plant that, when abundantly watered, can easily tolerate intense heat, but with a lack of moisture, it gives a bad crop. Seedlings during rooting should be watered every day. When it takes root, you can switch to 2-3 times a day watering. At the same time, weather conditions should be taken into account. In hot summers, more frequent watering may be necessary.The ideal option is drip irrigation.
In order for strawberry bushes to have abundant flowering, the formation of the maximum number of berries and their ripening, they need to be fed with nutrients.
Root dressing is applied 3 times per season:
- in spring, after snow melts - nitrogen fertilizers to stimulate growth: nitroammofosk, a solution of mullein or bird droppings (1:10 and 1:12), 1 liter per bush;
- in the summer after fruiting - potassium and other trace elements necessary for planting the fruit buds of the next crop (an aqueous solution of potassium nitrate, wood ash, biohumus or potassium sulfate with a nitrofoam), half a liter under the plant, re-feeding after 2 weeks;
- in September, to prepare plants for winter - one of the aqueous solutions (10 l): mullein and ash (1 l and 0.5 tbsp.), nitroammophoski, magnesium sulfate and ash (2 tbsp. l., 30 g and 1 tbsp.), superphosphate, ash and mullein (2 tbsp. l., 1 tbsp., 1 l.), 0.5 l per bush.
Strawberries Darselect well tolerate cold and frost, if it is prepared for winter. Preparatory work begins after the harvest.
These include the following activities:
- cleaning the site of weeds and fallen leaves, loosening the earth;
- pruning of dry and green foliage, as well as peduncles;
- plentiful watering;
- top dressing with a complex of mineral and organic fertilizers;
- Shelter of bushes with mulch from natural materials (sawdust, straw, pine needles, dry leaves) or synthetic agrofibre, which is fixed on the frame, is carried out only after setting the minus temperature.
Preventive treatment for diseases and pests
Variety Darselect has good immunity. With good care, it is relatively resistant to rhizome diseases and medium resistant to leaf spotting. But with the drawbacks of agricultural technology, a plant can catch a fungal infection. Prevention is the best defense against disease. It is held in spring and autumn, when the bushes do not bloom and do not bear fruit.
Maintenance work includes:
- harvesting dry leaves and other plant debris from the beds, pruning dried flower stalks and mustaches;
- Spraying with copper-containing agents: Bordeaux liquid, vitriol, preparations “Khom”, “Abiga-Peak”, “Chorus”, which protect against verticillosis, powdery mildew and spotting;
- from spider mite protects watering the ground part of the bush with a hot solution of potassium permanganate (65 ° C);
- remedies for weevil and other insects - Fitoverm, Karbofos, Topaz and others.
Harvesting, transportability and storage
Harvest time comes in mid-June. It is very easy and quick to pick berries. Since they are quite large and can be easily removed from the soft stalk, in an hour of work you can collect from 18 to 25 kg of ripe strawberries.
Ripe berries remain dense. Therefore, after removal from the bushes, they retain their shape, do not darken, do not soften and do not turn into porridge. Due to this, they are resistant to mechanical damage and very well tolerate long-term transportation. In addition, strawberry Darselect, in comparison with other varieties, is stored for a rather long time, without losing its appearance and taste.
Did you know? The largest strawberry grew in 1983 in the USA. Its weight is 230 g, but it tasted very acidic and watery.
Strawberry Darselect is great for large plantings for commercial purposes. Invested funds and efforts will more than pay off during the harvest.