Germinated lentils: chemical composition, useful properties and contraindications
Germinated seeds of many cultures contain more biologically active substances than the original product. The seeds allowed for germination include lentils. It sprouts quickly and has a pleasant sweetish taste, something similar to the taste of green peas. About what are the sprouts of this plant, - later in the article.
This bean crop itself is a valuable food product. And when germinating in it, the content of amino acids and some vitamins increases significantly.
Lentil sprouts contain vitamins A, C, B1, B2, B5, B6, B9 and PP. The chemical composition is also represented by minerals such as potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, sodium, iron, honey, manganese, selenium and zinc.
In sprouts, the number of oligosaccharides causing flatulence decreases, calorie content decreases. 100 g of product contains 106 kcal. The nutritional value of the seedlings is as follows:
- proteins - 8.96 g;
- fats - 0.55 g;
- carbohydrates - 22.14 g;
- water - 67.34 g;
- ash - 1 g.
Did you know? The seedlings were used in nutrition by the ancient Chinese, Egyptians and Slavs. Interest in them arose in America in the 30s of the last century in America due to the growing popularity of vegetarianism.
Benefit and harm
- Germinated lentils bring a lot of benefits to the human body:
- reduces the likelihood of heart and vascular disease;
- helps to reduce cholesterol in the blood;
- normalizes metabolism;
- beneficial effect on the functioning of the genitourinary system;
- positively affects the skin;
- improves hair growth and strengthens nails;
- activates mental activity;
- boosts immunity.
- However, this product may also be harmful in case of such problems:
- gastrointestinal diseases (gastritis and peptic ulcer, colitis);
Important! This product can cause increased gas formation, especially when used together with dairy products. Because of this feature, it is recommended to add dill or fennel greens to dishes with sprouted lentils.
This lentil seedlings have contraindications:
- gallstones and kidney stones.
How to germinate for food
For germination, you can take whole beans of red, green and brown lentils. They can be easily germinated at home:
- Place the lentil seeds in a colander and rinse with running water. If necessary, sort beans and remove litter.
- Place the lentils in a glass jar and pour warm water.
- Close on top with gauze, fix it with an elastic band or rope.
- Put in a dark warm place for 12 hours. Best left overnight.
- Then discard the seeds in a colander, draining the water and rinsing.
- Put the lentil kernels back into the washed jar and put them back in a dark warm place. If the seeds dry, they should be sprayed with water.
- Rinse lentils with water every 6–8 hours for 3 days, discarding non-swollen seeds.
- When noticeable sprouts appear on the 3rd day, they can be used.
The jar with the product can be stored on the shelf of the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If there is a cool cellar (with a temperature of about + 5 ° C), then you can use it for storage.
Video: How to Sprout Lentils
How to use
Lentils will be useful to different categories of people, but it should be used correctly, observing the norms.
Germinated lentils are recommended to eat 2 times a week. The daily norm of this product for adults is up to 50–70 g.
When losing weight
Germinated lentil seeds contain many useful trace elements and are a source of easily digestible proteins and slow carbohydrates. Feeling of hunger with their use does not arise soon. Moreover, their calorie content is much lower than dry lentils.
This product helps to improve digestion and improves metabolic processes. All these properties are useful in weight loss diets. Sprouts are recommended for breakfast as part of salads or soups. For the best effect when losing extra pounds, germinated lentils should be combined with low-calorie vegetables and herbs. It is not recommended to abuse salt and high-calorie foods.
For women's health
- The most useful lentil sprouts for women:
- are the prevention of breast cancer and diseases of the female organs;
- reduce the painful condition with monthly ailments and menopause;
- necessary for pregnant women, as they contain folic acid (vitamin B9) and other trace elements necessary for the normal development of the fetus;
- contribute to improving the appearance - have beneficial effects on the skin and hair, help to lose weight.
Did you know? You can germinate seeds not only the seeds of lentils, but also other legumes - peas, chickpeas, mung bean, soybeans, beans. Grains of cereal (wheat, rye, barley), buckwheat, pumpkin, flax, amaranth, sunflower, sesame are also suitable for this.
- Sprouted lentils will also be useful for the stronger sex:
- will serve as the prevention of cardiovascular diseases, to which men are more likely than women;
- supplies the body with digestible proteins, which is necessary for vigorous muscle activity and for sports nutrition;
- will delay old age due to the content of antioxidants;
- increase sex drive and the likelihood of conception of a child.
Use germinated grains are recommended for children from 12 years.
- For them, this product brings such benefits:
- strengthens the body and serves as the prevention of colds;
- easily digestible proteins contribute to the normal growth of the child's body;
- reduce fatigue and irritability of the child during school work.
Some nutritionists allow the use of sprouts and germinated seeds for children from 1 year. But before that, you should first consult a doctor. To begin with, the child is given only a few crushed germinated seeds mixed with the usual food. When he grows up and begins to eat solid food, they can no longer be crushed. And at school age, the number of seedlings can be brought up to 25-30 g per day.
Lentil sprouts can be used boiled and fried, but it is most useful to eat them raw. It is best to add such sprouts to salads. They go well with various vegetable crops. As a dressing, it is good to use soy sauce, olive, linseed or other vegetable oil, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.
A few recipes for vegetable salads with sprouted lentils:
Salad number 1
- lentil seedlings - 2-3 tbsp. spoons;
- cucumber - 1 pc.;
- radish - 2-3 pcs.;
- sesame seeds - 1 teaspoon;
- salt to taste;
- vegetable oil (preferably olive) for dressing.
Wash the cucumber and radish, trim the ends and cut into thin small pieces. Add the sprouts, sprinkle with sesame seeds, salt to taste and season with vegetable oil. Mix everything well.
Salad number 2
- lentils - 50 g;
- tofu cheese - 50–70 g;
- iceberg salad - 0.5 pcs.;
- cucumber - 1 pc.;
- tomato - 1 pc.;
- dill - 2-3 branches;
- lemon juice - 2 tbsp. the spoon;
- olive oil - 1 tbsp. the spoon.
3 days before preparing to cook the salad, lentils should be sprouted. Wash vegetables and herbs immediately before cooking. Break the salad into large pieces. Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and cut into thin semicircles. Cut the tomato into small cubes. Finely chop the dill.Combine the vegetables with seedlings and diced tofu, pour over oil, lemon juice and mix. If desired, it can be added.
Important! Not all seeds can be used to produce seedlings. For example, red bean sprouts are toxic. Therefore, before germination, you should carefully study the information about a particular plant.
So, sprouted lentils are healthy, have a pleasant taste, contain more beneficial elements and fewer calories than dry. It can be eaten from the age of 12, if there are no contraindications, but it should be taken with caution in case of problems with the gastrointestinal tract. This product is also useful for weight loss. But before you start using these sprouts, you must always consult a doctor.