How to salt cabbage with beets
Cabbage is a very popular vegetable, especially in the Caucasus, in Asian and Slavic countries. Every nation has cabbage dishes that differ from each other in the way they cook and taste. This article is dedicated to the salting of cabbage with beets. The review will provide several recipes from around the world.
Selection and preparation of ingredients
If cabbage heads are selected in the market, it is best to purchase them from small farmers or owners of their own gardens selling surplus products. In this case, it is likely that such vegetables were not treated with aggressive insecticides harmful to human health.
Heads of cabbage should be juicy and resilient, clean, without any signs of pest damage. It is advisable that it be winter varietal cabbage, as summer and mid-season species have too soft and thin leaves and therefore will not crunch in the salting. Root crops used in pickles should also be without the presence of rot.
Did you know? In South and North Korea, a popular national dish, the taste of which is very similar to sauerkraut, is kimchi made from Peking cabbage, daikon and green onion feathers mixed with spicy paste of garlic, ginger, fish sauce, rice flour and Korean red pepper powder .
Recipes for salting cabbage with beets
All methods of cooking salted or pickled cabbage with beets differ from each other only in the saturation of spices, the content of salt and sugar, as well as the presence or absence of vinegar in the recipe. The duration and conditions of the fermentation of the product may vary. In some recipes, leaves of various plants (cherries, celery, horseradish) are used, giving an additional taste and aroma to the dish, as well as an appetizing crunch for vegetables. Usually such blanks are made for the winter.
Pickled cabbage with beetroot slices
1 can for 3 l60-70 minutes
forks of cabbage (weighing up to 2 kg)
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Cabbage head is cut into two halves and a stalk is cut. Further, the vegetable is cut arbitrarily, but not too thinly. It is recommended to cut into pieces in the form of squares with an edge length of up to 7 cm. Vegetable slices are folded into a deep container - a bowl or bowl.
- The garlic head is disassembled into slices, each tooth is peeled and the root thickening is removed. Each slice is cut across, with ringlets, up to 3 mm thick. Chopped garlic is poured on a saucer and set aside.
- Raw beets are cut into layers up to 0.5 mm thick, after which each plate is cut (across) once again with straws 0.5 mm thick. This can be done quickly if you stack all the chopped vegetable rings in a stack, and only then cross-cut into strips. Beetroot harvest is poured into a separate deep plate.
- To prepare the marinade, fill a metal pan with a thick bottom with water, after which the liquid is brought to a boil and sugar, vinegar and salt are mixed with boiling water. With constant stirring, the brine is boiled, and after boiling, vegetable oil is poured into it. The brine is ready for pickling cabbage.
- For salting cabbage, the hostess chooses a deep container, which must have a tight-fitting lid made of neutral materials that are not prone to oxidation. It can be plastic or enameled dishes. The container must be dry and clean.
- To properly marinate cabbage, vegetables must be laid in layers one after another. The first layer (up to 10 cm thick) is cabbage, followed by an arbitrary layer of chopped garlic, straws from beets, bay leaves and several peppercorns. Next comes the cabbage layer again.
- Vegetables are poured with cold or hot marinade. Both methods will be correct, but with hot pouring the cabbage will be ready the very next day. When pouring cold marinade, it will take at least 3-4 days to fully cook the vegetables. The cooking time of vegetables depends on the temperature in the room where they are located.
- Vegetables placed in a container and filled with brine must be pressed down. As a load, you can use a regular flat plate, installed directly on the top layer of vegetables. A jar filled with liquid is placed on top of the plate. The jar must be closed with a lid so that water from it does not fall into the marinade.
Video recipePickled cabbage with beetroot slicesVideo recipe: Pickled cabbage with beetroot slices
Important! In order to pickle or pickle cabbage, you can use commercially available plastic buckets made of food-grade plastic. This is very convenient, since this dish is equipped with a lid with a snug fit and has a sufficient volume.
Cabbage with Beets and Garlic
1 can for 3 l 30-40 minutes
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Using a special shredder, a cabbage head is cut into thin but short strips, after which they are folded into a deep basin. In such a container, slicing will be conveniently mixed with other salting ingredients.
- Carrots, garlic and beets are grated for Korean carrots or chopped using a special nozzle with a combine. Shredded vegetables are added to the cabbage cut and mix well. During stirring, it is advisable not to crush the vegetables too much. Having achieved the uniformity of the vegetable mixture, it is poured into a clean and dry container (an enameled pan or a three-liter jar). When laying cabbage, they are compacted as densely as possible.
- Cooking fill. A glass of sugar is dissolved in hot water, and only after that the rest of the ingredients (vegetable oil, salt and vinegar) are added. All components of the fill are mixed and the liquid is brought to a boil. The hot fill is gently poured into the jar over the cabbage slices so that the boiling water contacts the walls of the neck of the jar as little as possible - this will help to avoid the appearance of cracks on the glass. If the marinade is a little lacking in order to completely cover the vegetables, do not worry, within an hour the vegetables will secrete juice, which will cover the lack of filling.
- It is advisable to set the container with pickling in a deep bowl, which will serve as a tray for brine spilling over the edge during fermentation. The design of two containers is left on the table in the kitchen, since this room is the warmest room in the apartment. After 4 days, the product is ready for use, after which it is desirable to put it in the refrigerator.
Did you know? The diet of astronauts in Earth orbit consists of products placed in special tubes. One of the orbital dishes is borsch with cabbage and beets.
1 can for 3 l60-70 minutes
2-3 pcs. (about 4 kg)
1 large root
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- All the roots specified in the recipe are washed and peeled with a knife or peeler. Beets and carrots are cut with transverse plates, the thickness of which does not exceed 3 mm. Parsley and celery roots are cut into cubes. To do this quickly and equally, root crops are cut into circles, which are stacked and chopped across the circle with straws. The thickness of the transverse circles and straws should not exceed 5 mm. In this case, cubes of the same thickness will be obtained.
- The heads of garlic are disassembled into separate slices and peel the teeth.
- Cabbage forks are cut into large fragments, for example, each head is cut into 5 longitudinal parts.
- The bottom of a large enameled pan, with a volume of at least 10 liters, is covered with cherry leaves washed and dried from drops of water.Large pieces of cabbage are laid on the leaves, sprinkling them with chives, parsley, celery and spices. Each cabbage layer is separated from each other by tightly laid round slices of beets and carrots. The container is filled until the vegetables run out. Stacking is done very tightly, if necessary, additionally sealing vegetables with your hands.
- All the pouring ingredients indicated in the recipe are brought to a boil, cooled to a warm state and the vegetables are poured so that the marinade covers them completely. A load weighing at least 2 kg is installed on top of the vegetables (you can slightly more) and left for fermentation for 4 days in the room, after which the vegetables are laid out in smaller containers. These vessels must have a wide throat so that it is possible to place oppression on top of the cabbage. Packaging snacks on banks of a smaller capacity is needed in order not to keep the cabbage in conditions of elevated temperature, not allowing the product to sour. Salted vegetables are taken out in the cold. Armenian cabbage will be ready in about 1.5 months.
Did you know? In the eighteenth century, explorers of unknown lands, such as Captain Cook, used sauerkraut to prevent scurvy during long sea voyages, taking on board up to 25,000 pounds of this product, rich in enzymes and vitamin C.
1 can for 2 l 50-70 minutes
forks of white cabbage (up to 1 kg)
1 small pod
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- In the preparation of cabbage in Georgian, the main factor in the future spicy and spicy taste is filling. In order to cook it, pour water into a stewpan, bring to a boil and add all the components of the marinade. The recipe indicates 50 g of salt and to measure this amount without using a kitchen scale, you can simply measure 2 tbsp. tablespoons of salt with a small slide.
- The garlic cloves are freed from the skins and cut into thin transverse slices. Garlic slicing is folded into a separate dish and temporarily set aside.
- Celery leaves are washed under running water, dried with a kitchen towel from moisture and cut into large pieces (5-7 cm). The hot pepper pod is washed well and cut into transverse rings without taking out the seeds.
- Beets peeled from the skin are chopped with thin rings. The thickness of each ring should not exceed 3-5 mm. Beetroot slices are left lying on a cutting board.
- Cabbage forks are cut into 4–6 parts, after which each part of the vegetable is cut across into 3-4 large pieces. Cabbage slices, without destroying each segment into petals, are placed in a container for salting in one layer, lightly sprinkled with garlic rings and (slightly less often) hot pepper rings. The next is a layer of celery leaves, on top of which beets are laid in one layer. Next, repeat the entire installation in the listed sequence, starting with the cabbage layer. It does so until there are enough prepared and chopped vegetables. Vegetables are stacked tightly, preventing the occurrence of voids.
- The laid layers are poured with boiling fill and placed on the upper layer of the cutting oppression. You can use any lockable container filled with water (a can) or packed in several bags and hermetically sealed heavy stone (brick) as a yoke. If you use a food-grade plastic bucket with a tight-fitting lid as a container for pickling, you can do without oppression. In this case, the vegetables are laid to the very top of the bucket and tightly closed with a lid after pouring. The lid also serves as a nest for cabbage.
- In this form, vegetables are left to boil on a table in the kitchen at room temperature for 4-5 days. In order to prevent vegetables from “suffocating” in a tightly closed bucket during fermentation, the lid must be slightly raised so that a small gap for air penetration is obtained. Fermentation will be “right” and the cabbage will ferment deliciously.
- On the fifth day, Georgian cabbage will be ready. If the hostess wants the readiness to come much earlier, she should add to the pouring 30 ml of 9% vinegar - the pickling will be ready in two to three days. In the finished dish, the cabbage flesh will be juicy and crispy, and the beetroot rings will be soft.
Important! In the preparation of salted and pickled vegetables, it is categorically not recommended to use iodized salt. The iodine contained in such salt “does not allow” vegetables to crunch appetizingly, as it softens the fiber of the ingredients.
1 can for 3 l 60-100 minutes
4 tbsp. l
Nutritional value per 100 g:
- Washed and peeled root vegetables are finely chopped. Two methods of slicing root crops are suitable for this recipe: a long thin straw, grated on a Korean carrot, or a very thin, almost transparent ring cut. Shredded root crops are placed in separate deep plates.
- Each garlic clove is peeled and then chopped with a thin straw or slices.
- Stalks are removed from the cabbage forks. The easiest way to do this is to first cut each fork in two. Next, each cabbage half is cut into 8 parts lengthwise, after which each fragment is cut across into 2-3 parts. The result is a cut of cabbage leaves not large, but not small, petals.
- A clean and dried three-liter jar is densely filled with vegetables, it is recommended that the mistress periodically compact each layer with a fist or pusher for boiled potatoes. If the vegetables are laid in a loose layer, then the brine will not completely cover the cut and the pickling will fail. Chopped cabbage and small straws from root crops are poured into the jar layer by layer, pouring garlic cloves.
- They make Korean cabbage pouring: mix all the marinade ingredients (salt, spices, sugar, butter, vinegar) and heat until boiling. Before pouring the brine into the jar, the hostess is advised to mix the hot liquid several times to make sure that the salt and sugar are well dissolved.
- Almost boiling fill in small portions, with caution, pour into glass jars. Caution is needed, as from a sharp contact with hot water the glass jar may crack. The hostess needs to make sure that the container is filled with vegetable slices to the top and is completely covered with brine. After that, the can of Korean cabbage is tightly corked with a plastic lid and left in the room until the brine cools completely.
- The cooled cabbage is taken out in the cold, where it will be ready for 4 or 5 days, after which the Korean home-made salted cabbage is ready for consumption. Typically, this dish is served as a snack or side dish.
Terms and conditions of storage
Salted, sauerkraut or pickled cabbage needs to be stored in a cool room, the storage temperature in the range of +5 ... + 8 ° C will be optimal. This is because such dishes are obtained due to the fermentation process, i.e. fermentation. When vegetables get the desired taste, the fermentation process must be stoppedotherwise the dish will go bad (peroxide). The fermentation process requires heat, therefore, to stop the fermentation - you need cold.
Important! Since raw cabbage is very elastic and it is quite difficult to condense it well, the housewife needs to know that after contact with hot filling the cabbage will settle significantly, after which you can add an additional layer of cabbage slicing into the jar.
Cabbage pickles and marinades can be stored in the cellar or in the cool basement. In the apartment for this purpose you can use the loggia or balcony. Salty or sauerkraut is not “afraid” of low subzero temperatures, while a thin layer of ice may appear in the brine, but this does not affect the taste of the pickles.
Such blanks are stored for up to 2 months, but it should be borne in mind that the higher the temperature in the room, the less pickles will be stored. It is recommended to ferment cabbage in small portions, since the cooking process is simple and does not take much time, and freshly fermented vegetables are much tastier than those that are stored for a long time.
Fermented cabbage is several times healthier than its fresh counterpart. An acidic product is an invaluable storehouse of vitamin C, which is especially important for the human body in winter. Even a young inexperienced housewife, having spent quite a bit of time and effort, will be able to salt cabbage and delight loved ones with crispy and healthy pickles.