Treatment of diseases of the throat with ginger: recipes of traditional medicine
Ginger has been used for colds and colds for centuries. Chemical compounds of ginger increase the body's immunity, thanks to which people are less likely to get sick, and those who are already sick can recover faster. This article is devoted to the treatment of tonsillitis with the use of ginger by various methods, it will also show the healing properties of this plant and contraindications for use.
How ginger works for sore throats
The root of the plant perfectly cleans the microcirculation system, including the sinuses, which are clogged with a cold, which prevents the patient from breathing. Ginger also has warming properties, which is very important for colds, as it supports the body's natural cleansing during sweating. It has a strong expectorant effect, therefore, is indispensable in the treatment of bronchitis, asthma, flu and other respiratory diseases.
The concentrated nutrients contained in the root are very easily absorbed by the body, unlike medicines for sore throats, colds and influenza drugs
It is very important to choose the right form of ginger for angina. It is advisable to choose fresh ginger instead of powder, as it contains valuable gingerols, which partially evaporate during drying. Applying fresh rhizomes in case of a sore throat or a cold will be more effective.
Important! It is not recommended to remove the peel from the ginger root, since it also contains many valuable substances that increase the medicinal effect of tea or decoction. The root just needs to be washed well with a soft brush.
Three rules for using ginger for colds:
- Ginger is best taken at the onset of the disease.when a person is just starting to feel unwell or in case of infection of mild or moderate severity. If you start taking the drug early enough, there is a high probability that the disease will pass by or it will flow more easily. The root has an additional warming effect, which is useful at the beginning of the development of the disease, at mild temperatures, etc.
- Take the right dose of the drink and often enough. Frequency of admission is also very important, because only in advertising cough syrup gets directly into the lungs. Everything that people eat enters the stomach and is further processed there. The substances contained in ginger enter the bloodstream 30-60 minutes after eating, after which they remain in the blood for about an hour, and only then are excreted from the body. To speed up recovery, you need to maintain a constant work of ginger in the body, for which it is necessary to take medicinal tea or a decoction about every two hours.
- Ginger infusion must be prepared correctlyif you simply throw the root slices in tea, they will not work as effectively as ginger juice squeezed into boiling water does.
Ginger can be taken orally (fresh root, powder, or juice) to disinfect your mouth, throat, or intestines. If it is desired to be used as an external antiseptic, the rhizome is cut into thin slices and rubbed with their skin on the affected area. To rehabilitate the oral cavity, a thin slice of ginger is absorbed in the mouth for some time, producing a disinfecting effect and refreshing the breath.
Important! It is recommended to take ginger teas and decoctions no later than a few hours before bedtime. This is due to the fact that the root contains tonic substances, as a result of which insomnia may occur.
There are many essential nutrients in the rhizome of this plant.The main vitamins of ginger are vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and B9 (folate), also the root contains minerals (potassium and magnesium).
Vitamin C is an important antioxidant that promotes the development and health of body tissues, including skin and skeleton. Vitamin C helps protect the body and strengthen immunitybecause it prevents and delays the formation of free radicals. Vitamin C deficiency can lead to many health problems, including scurvy.
Another ginger nutrient is B9 or folate, which is important for the metabolism of nucleic acids and other amino acids. This vitamin is needed for the development and functioning of the brain. Excessively low folate levels can lead to anemia and possibly permanent brain damage. The level of folate often depends on genetics, but can be supplemented by the food that a person consumes.
In addition, high levels of magnesium make ginger very important. for healthy nervous and muscle function, and a high level of potassium - for normal digestive function and muscle contraction.
Did you know? At Indian weddings, newlyweds before the wedding night are traditionally offered a drink made on the basis of ginger. According to the beliefs of this country, this drink has the properties of a powerful aphrodisiac.
Ginger has pronounced antibacterial properties that help reduce microbial infections in the body. The recommended therapeutic dosage of ginger should not exceed 4 g per day and can be divided into two to three daily doses for safety. Daily use of ginger does not have any known side effects and is widely used in traditional medicine and cooking. However, taking a large amount of this product can often lead to undesirable side effects.
The root can be used as an antibiotic in the treatment of infectious diseases caused by bacteria and viruses that cause mucus secretion, sputum and an increased risk of inflammation in the body. Ginger soothes symptoms and cures the disease.
Numerous scientific studies have proven that ginger root contains ingredients that mimic the effects of synthetic analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs in a natural way. It is used for menstrual and muscle pain.. During colds and high temperatures, patients often feel aches in the body: muscles hurt, touching the skin becomes unpleasantly painful. To relieve these unpleasant sensations, patients drink hot ginger tinctures and teas.
Methods of using ginger for throat diseases
The healing root in the treatment is used in various forms. Inside - in the form of tea, decoction or tincture, in the form of warming baths or rubbing, in the form of healing steam saturated with essential oils (inhalation).
Mixture from tonsillitis: ginger, lemon and honey
To prepare this drink, a classic mixture of medicinal substances is used that alleviate the condition of patients with colds. You should start using the medicinal drink at the first sign of a cold, irritation and tickling in the nasopharynx or cramping in the sore throat.
Anti-inflammatory ginger drink
- a piece of fresh ginger rhizome (6-8 cm);
- 1 liter of hot water (preferably soft, filtered);
- lemon or lime juice, honey to taste.
- Ginger root is crushed in a blender into small crumbs, after which fresh juice is squeezed out of the resulting puree through a sieve.
- Ginger juice and vegetable squeeze root are added to boiling water and immediately cover the container with a saucer to avoid evaporation of the essential oils.
- The drink is left to infuse for at least 4 hours. For a concentrated drink, the ideal brewing time is all night.
- After this time, the drink is filtered, paying special attention to squeezing the swollen mass of crushed ginger root from the liquid well.
- The remaining ginger is thrown away, and the finished concentrated infusion is stored in the refrigerator.
- Immediately before the reception, 1 / 4–1 / 3 tbsp. Are poured into the cup. ginger drink, add capacity to the top with hot water and add to the taste with lemon juice or honey. You can also add a pinch of hot pepper to the drink. The drink must be drunk hot, because ginger and other vegetable warming substances should be consumed in a heated form.
To obtain an effective effect, you need to drink a glass of hot ginger tea every 2-3 hours. The daily dose of a medicinal product for an adult is 6–8 tbsp. in a day. Substances located in the root are stored in the body for about 2 hours. To get better, you need to have a steady level of these substances in the body.
After the second cup, the patient should feel that he has warmed up, especially for the arms and legs. The minimum time for taking healing tea is 2-3 days. It is especially effective to start drinking ginger tea at the beginning of the disease, but if the disease process is already running, then a healing drink will also be very useful.
A drink with ginger for purulent sore throat
If a patient with angina begins to have complications and the disease has passed into a more serious stage of purulent sore throat, traditional medicine suggests combining the disinfectant and anti-inflammatory properties of ginger with the emollient properties of honey and propolis.
To make medicinal tea, ginger root (together with the peel) is rubbed on a grater. A 2 cm long root is enough for this. The grated mass is placed in a small metal container, 250 ml of boiling water is poured, mixed and installed in a water bath, where it is cooked for a quarter of an hour. 1-2 tsp are added to the finished drink. honey and 0.5 hours of bee propolis. It is recommended to drink the drink warm 3 times a day, 100 ml each.
Decoction for throat diseases
This drink helps in the fight against sore throats, colds or flu, causing sweating (with fever, chills) and lowering the temperature. To prepare a healing infusion, 30 g of fresh ginger is cut into pieces and immersed for 10 minutes. in 500 ml of very hot water. At the end of the infusion, add 1 tsp of brown sugar and drink the infusion warm in two divided doses. The drink is not allowed to cool, placing it in a thermos.
Infusion for rinsing with chronic tonsillitis
With tonsillitis, regular rinses of the mouth and throat during the day relieve inflammation, disinfect the affected areas and reduce pain. To prepare a gargle, in 200 ml of freshly boiled water, dissolve 0.5 hours of dry ginger powder, mix well and set aside for a quarter hour.
Gargle only with warm infusion, if the liquid has cooled, it is heated in a steam bath or on a small fire to a slightly warm state. In no case do you use very hot liquids to rinse your throat. Ginger rinse alternate with rinsing from a decoction of chamomile, which has a softening effect on inflamed tissues.
Inhalation with sore throat
Ginger steam, thanks to essential oils, has a beneficial effect on the sore throat and bronchi. The procedure during which they breathe hot steam is called inhalation.. For inhalation, a liquid mixture is preliminarily prepared, the vapor of which the patient will breathe. 25-50 g of ginger (grated on a coarse grater or chopped with translucent plates) is added to 1 liter of water, the mixture is brought to a boil, boiled for 3-5 minutes, after which the container is closed with a lid and left to infuse for several minutes.
Did you know? Florists successfully grow ginger indoors.Pieces of rhizomes are planted in flower pots and grown as an ordinary houseplant with beautiful fan-shaped dark green leaves.
The patient is seated at a table, in front of him, a container with a hot broth is installed. Both the patient and the container with hot liquid are covered with one wide thick bath towel with a head. The towel will serve as an obstacle for the essential oils to evaporate quickly and the water to cool. The patient inhales a pair of medicinal decoction for 10-15 minutes. Inhalation is repeated two to three times a day, depending on the severity of the patient's condition.
Few people know how to use this unusual root in the form of a warming wrap. It’s a pity because such compresses improve blood circulation, lymph circulation, accelerate muscle regeneration at the site of application, disperse stagnation of substances in the body. To prepare such a wrap is very simple.
You will need:
- water (3-4 liters);
- ginger root;
- linen or any other natural fabric;
- 3 small towels;
Did you know? In cooking, ginger root is used to prepare various sweet and salty dishes. There are recipes for ginger jam, ginger alcoholic liquors and tinctures, and the root is an integral ingredient in some meat, fish and vegetable dishes.
How to cook:
- To boil water. While the water is boiling, ginger root is rubbed on a grater. It’s enough to take a ginger root the size of a tennis ball.
- When the water boils, the flame under the pan is reduced. On a table, linen is spread in two layers, then grated ginger is placed in the center, the fabric is folded into a knot and bandaged with a strong thread.
- A ginger nodule is placed in boiling water for 5 minutes. for boiling over low heat.
- A clean towel is dipped in hot ginger water, waiting for the fabric to absorb liquid, and then carefully twisted.
- A moist, hot towel is applied to a selected location on the body, such as the throat or chest. A second, dry towel is placed on top of the wet towel to prevent the hot tissue from cooling. Instead of a second towel, you can also use foil or cling film.
- Cooling wet tissue is changed every 2-3 minutes, changing it to a fresh towel soaked in hot ginger water.
- The whole procedure should last about 10-15 minutes, until the skin at the place of application turns red.
Ginger wraps are good for problems with sore sinuses, bronchi, lungs (eliminating stagnation of mucus)
Ginger Juice Pastilles
Homemade cough lozenges are designed for leisurely resorption or chewing by patients with sore throat. Ginger caramel relieves sore throat and softens cough. To prepare such sweets for cough and sore throat at home, the hostess will need no more than 20 minutes. free time.
- granulated sugar: 250 mg;
- water: 0.5 cups;
- honey and lemon juice: 1 tbsp. l .;
- cloves: 1/4 tsp;
- ginger powder: 1/2 tsp
- Sugar is poured into a metal container with a volume not exceeding 0.5 l, water is added there and the mixture is allowed to melt over low heat. When the sugar has completely dissolved, and the mixture takes on a slightly caramel color, honey, lemon juice, cinnamon, ginger and cloves are added to it.
- The mixture is quickly mixed, not allowing to cool, and with the help of a teaspoon small caramel “medals” are deposited on a blank sheet of paper.
- After cooling and hardening of caramel pastilles, they are placed in a tin or glass box and stored until they are needed.
- Cough lozenges are stored for up to 2 years.
Also, with purulent sore throat, fresh ginger rhizome is cut into very thin, translucent slices and slowly sucked like candy. At the same time, the person feels the release of essential oils, a sharp, refreshing taste appears in the throat.This is a very quick, easy, and effective way to fight colds, sore throats, and coughs.
A cold person is well helped in the fight against the disease by warming rubbing. In our country, rubbing with alcohol tinctures is traditionally used. It is easy to prepare alcohol tincture on a ginger root. To do this, rhizome weighing 100-150 g is cut into thin petals, placed in a bottle or a jar of dark glass and pour 500 ml of vodka. Alcohol tincture should be infused in a dark place for 3 weeks, after which it can be used for warming rubbing or vodka compresses.
Video: Ginger Root From Many Diseases
For tonsillitis, colds, bronchi, or lungs, rubbing the back, sternum, and feet is recommended. After rubbing the patient put on cotton underwear that is close to the body and retains heat. It is advisable to carry out warming procedures at night or during the day, but with full patient compliance with bed rest.
Ginger compresses for cramping in the throat
There are many options for compresses using ginger. Basically, these are alcohol compresses on ginger tincture, for the preparation of which they use a cloth moistened in such a solution and laid on the patient's chest or throat for several hours or at night. Alcohol-ginger compress has good warming properties, and in order to prevent heat from evaporating, a second layer of polyethylene is placed on top of the wet fabric, and a wool scarf or scarf is tied with a third layer.
Baths for colds, tickling, and sore throats
If a person who has a purulent sore throat, pharyngitis or a cold does not have a high temperature, then you can take a warming bath. To do this, add several tablespoons of ginger powder to the bathtub filled with hot water, after which the patient is immersed in water to the chin and warms up in it for 25-30 minutes. If possible, use fresh ginger, take 100 g of root, cut and boil for 5-10 minutes. (over low heat) in 350-500 ml of water.
Ready broth along with pieces of boiled root is poured into a bath of water. It is necessary to adjust the temperature of the water so that the liquid does not burn the body and is not too hot. At the end of the procedure, it is recommended to immediately change into dry warm clothes, drink warm drink (tea, milk, broth) and go to bed under a blanket.
Foot baths with ginger have also proven themselves well in the treatment of tonsillitis and for removing sore throat. In this case, a deep basin is filled with hot water and a couple of spoons of ginger powder are added there. The patient places his legs in the basin, while covering the container with a large towel so that the hot water does not cool quickly. It is recommended to warm your legs for 30 minutes., if during the procedure the water cools down, small portions of boiling water are added to it. After the procedure, the feet are wiped dry and put on warm socks, preferably woolen.
Contraindications and harm ginger compress
People with advanced cancer should not use ginger compresses too often or keep them on their body for more than 5 minutes. Before using a ginger compress, it is better for such patients to consult their doctor. You need to know that warming procedures such as a compress, inhalation or warming baths for the body or legs are carried out only if the patient's body temperature does not exceed 38 ° C.
Important! If a woman is breastfeeding, then, as a result of her use of ginger, in a baby may occur colic.
As for ginger compresses, no more obvious contraindications were noted by doctors, which cannot be said about food containing substances from this rhizome (first and second courses, decoctions, infusions and teas).Side effects are rare and occur when the daily dose of the root is exceeded or consumption occurs daily and in very large quantities.
- Contraindications of ginger drinks and food:
- This plant should not be used by patients with inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract or lungs.
- Expectant mothers are also advised to be careful with taking this plant, ginger can be used against toxicosis (nausea and dizziness), but in small doses and occasionally.
- Ginger should not be used by pregnant women in the first trimester of gestation, as it relaxes the muscles of the uterus.
- People with bile duct stones should consult their doctor before resorting to ginger treatment.
- Also, ginger is not recommended to be eaten two weeks before any operation, since it interferes with blood clotting.
Ginger rhizome has many medicinal properties, but in order to get effective help for the patient, you need to use the plant correctly. Folk methods of treating colds or chronic tonsillitis offer many effective recipes using ginger rhizomes.