Delicious step by step recipes for pickled grapes for the winter
Many people believe that pickling is only suitable for meat, fish and vegetable dishes. But in fact, this method of processing products is widely used for berry crops. Their fruits can be pickled as a dessert, second courses, spicy snacks and salad ingredients. How to prepare a similar blank from grapes, which variety to use and what spices to add - you will learn more about this later in the article.
Selection and preparation of ingredients
Marinating grape berries is easy. In finished form, they can be served as an independent dish for meat, poultry, as well as salad, or used as a decoration.
The preparation of this homemade preparation involves the presence of berries that have reached their technical ripeness, from white and red varieties. The choice of the main ingredient should be taken seriously, because its quality largely determines the taste and shelf life of the finished product.
It is preferable to choose hard and large fruits of the Tauris, Senso, Nimrang, Agadai grapes. The harvest of these varieties is not only distinguished by its large size, but also by its elastic peel and richness. Seedless grades are good for pickling.
Did you know? Vineyards occupy about 80 thousand m² of land on the planet. Of these, 70% are for winemaking, 27% for harvesting fresh berries, and only 2% for raisins.
Before pickling, the berries are separated from the stalks, carefully scrubbed, discarding substandard specimens, then they are washed several times in cold water and dried. Besides grapes, spices are not superfluous in the marinade. They are chosen, guided by personal gastronomic preferences.
In addition to the classic set of salt, vinegar and sugar, some recipes use allspice peas, cloves, cinnamon (ground or sticks), cardamom, star anise, honey, olive oil, garlic, rosemary.
Important! Popular grapes Isabella and Lily are categorically not suitable for pickling.
Please note that fruit vinegar, in comparison with table vinegar, reveals the aroma and taste of pickled berries more strongly. If you don’t like dishes with this ingredient, you can replace it in any recipe with citric acid in a proportion of 27 g of crystals per 75 ml of water (we are talking about preparing 100 ml of a solution equivalent to 9% vinegar).
At the preparatory stage of pickling grapes, the jars must be sterilized. This is best done in the oven, by placing the washed containers in a cabinet warmed up to + 65 ° C. To avoid cracking the glass, monitor the degree of evaporation of moisture from the surface of the containers.
Step-by-step recipes for pickled grapes for the winter
For many lovers of a healthy diet, grapes are a bank of important vitamins and minerals. And although modern nutritionists say that any culinary treatment destroys the lion's share of nutrients, you can still try to cook a delicious pickled dish for the winter.
Simple recipe without sterilization
1 L 30 min.
black pepper (peas)
Energy value per 100 g:
- Put spices on the bottom of a sterilized liter jar in advance, then fill it with prepared grapes. Make sure that about 2 cm of free space is left from the edge of the neck, otherwise the caps will swell during storage.
- Pour boiling water over the container and cover with a lid so that the berries are infused.
- After 5 minutes, drain the water into an enamel pan and boil. After boiling add sugar, salt, vinegar to the liquid. Boil the contents until the sugar crystals are completely dissolved.
- Turning off the stove, fill the cans with the marinade and roll them with metal lids.
Video recipeA simple recipe without sterilization Video recipe: A simple recipe without sterilization
No water added
1 L 20 min.
Energy value per 100 g:
- In the prepared jar with a capacity of 1 liter, pour the washed and dried berries.
- In an enameled pan, cook the marinade. To do this, initially prepare juice from fresh fruits, then combine it with sugar and simmer over low heat for about 2-3 minutes until sugar crystals dissolve.
- Then put a stick of cinnamon on the bottom of the pan and continue cooking the marinade for 6 minutes.
- Turn off the stove. Add vinegar to the liquid and remove the cinnamon.
- Pour the grapes with hot marinade and roll the lids.
Did you know? There are at least 10,000 grape varieties in the world. For comparison, the varieties of all fruit trees are no more than 6,000.
2 L 30 min.
vinegar (preferably apple)
Energy value per 100 g:
- This spicy appetizer should be prepared from dark blue grape varieties. Harvesting the main ingredient includes dividing the bunches into separate branches containing about 5-6 berries. In this form, they are washed with cold water, and then scalded with boiling water.
- Put spices and harvested berries in sterilized dry jars (it is important that they dry out). For convenience, preventing the fruit from floating to the surface, attach crossed twigs in a jar above the surface of the raw material.
- In a separate container, combine water, salt, sugar and bring to a boil, then let the marinade on low heat for about 6 minutes. Turn off the stove, pour in the vinegar.
- Pour the berries with marinade and add 1 tbsp. To each jar on top. l olive oil. This will protect the product from oxidation.
- On top of the jar, put a circle of parchment paper, cutting it so that the edges go far beyond the neck. It is fixed with a thread and sent to the cellar for storage.
Important! Approximately 4 weeks before harvesting, it is recommended to stop any spraying of the vineyard with pesticides..
Store pickled grapes on condition that it is sterilized for 12 months. A cellar or a refrigerator is ideal for this. If the product has not been sterilized, it is best to consume it as soon as possible.
During the long-term storage of such a workpiece, the marinade can oxidize, which will not affect the taste of the berries in the best way. Also, marinating damage due to violations of cooking technology is not ruled out. Therefore, it is advisable to eat grapes without sterilization for a month. During this period, it should be stored in a dark, cool place, away from direct sunlight.
If necessary, pickle in this way a large amount of the crop, it is advisable to use barrels made of wood. This will improve the taste of the product and facilitate timely intervention in case of risk of spoilage.
Dark or white grapes are often pickled for olives and served with cheese and white wine. This is a simple appetizer that does not cause trouble during cooking, but is distinguished by its unique taste and aroma.