Features of large-fruited raspberries Terenty
Terenty is a “young” raspberry variety, which has become popular due to the high quality of fruits and good productivity, therefore, we will consider in more detail the description of the plant, the history of selection, the characteristics of planting and subsequent care for raspberries in the garden.
The raspberry variety Terenty became known to the scientific world in 1994 thanks to the breeding work of Professor V.V. Kichina, who conducted biological research at the Moscow Institute of Gardening and Nursery. In order to create the variety, the second-generation raspberry large-fruited varieties of pollination were patronized - Patricia and Tarusa.
The parental variety of Tarus is a standard variety; therefore, hybrid seedlings during the experimental cultivation also showed an interesting form of standard type. The status of the variety and its name the plant received in 1998.
Did you know? The first to discover wild raspberries was Pliny, an ancient Roman scholar. He tasted wild berries on the island of Crete and soon brought out a seedling for cultivation in Europe.
Raspberry Terenty is characterized by medium height, which reaches, on average, 120 cm. Less often grows to 150 cm. The main feature of the variety - the bush grows in the form of a tree, has a thick trunk with side shoots that resemble branches. The shoots are upright, can bend slightly under the weight of the fruit, which, during the ripening period of the crop, abundantly stick around the stems.
Raspberry leaves are characterized by a large size, have pointed, slightly corrugated ends, the color is dark green. Replacing shoots in adult plants are able to reach an amount of 8-10 pieces. Raspberry Terenty is not prone to the formation of root shoots around the central stem in the first years of cultivation, but an adult plant forms up to 5 new shoots annually, which are used by gardeners to propagate the variety.
Raspberry stems are durable, they are quite thick and do not bend under their own weight, while the thickness of the stems is the same at the base and at the apex. Spikes on the shoots are not found, therefore, it is not difficult to distinguish a real large-fruited variety from a "simple" plant during the purchase. Young shoots have a light green color, by autumn they become coarse and darken.
Did you know? Modern selection allows you to display raspberry varieties with berries of different colors. There are varieties with yellow, black and even purple fruits. The last variety was obtained in the USA due to the crossing of red-fruited and aronia raspberries.
Characteristics of berries
The fruits of the variety Terenty are very large, the weight of one berry varies from 4 to 10 g, sometimes reaches 15 g. Dull-pointed berries have an elongated conical shape. The raspberry stalk is quite large, so the berry inside has a large cavity and is easily crushed.
Color - bright raspberry, taste - pleasant, in an unripe berry it is slightly fresh, in a fully ripe one it is more sweet, with a pleasant aroma. The pulp has a delicate texture, so the variety does not tolerate transportation.
- Berry Benefits:
- big size;
- pleasant taste;
- universality of use;
- a large number on the bush.
- poor transportability;
- susceptibility of berries to cracking and mildew in wet weather.
Variety Terenty belongs to raspberries of medium early ripening. In the midland of Russia, the harvest period falls in the second decade of July.
Productivity and fruiting
The yields of large-fruited raspberries are highly dependent on the territory, growing conditions and the correct implementation of agricultural practices. The average yield is 5 kg of fruit per plant.
If climatic conditions are more favorable, and the plant is provided with regular top dressing, then the amount of harvested crop may increase by 2 times. The berries ripen together, the fruiting period of the plant lasts, on average, a month, but a small number of berries can be collected before the first autumn frosts.
Drought resistance, frost resistance
Large-fruited stem raspberries do not tolerate severe frosts, so the variety Terenty is not particularly frost-resistant. With a little snowy winter, raspberry shoots can completely freeze out, the roots also suffer greatly, so planting a plant should not be practiced in cold regions with little snowy winters.
So that the bushes are well wintered, they are not only bent low to the soil, but also necessarily covered, providing a ventilated shelter.
If the air temperature in winter drops below –30 ° C, all non-warmed plants die immediately. The plant also suffers from intense heat and lack of moisture in the soil, so raspberries need regular heavy watering.
Raspberry Terenty took the best qualities from the “parental” varieties, therefore it has good resistance to fungal diseases such as anthracnose and purple spotting, as well as to the mosaic virus.
Any experienced gardener knows that the right planting technology and meeting the deadlines is half the success in growing a strong plant. Let's consider in more detail how to choose a place, and correctly plant a raspberry tree on a personal plot.
The plant can be planted in open ground in spring and autumn. Autumn planting is practiced in warm regions.
Due to the fact that frosts come late, the seedling manages to take up well and grow stronger in winter. In spring, planting is carried out in the middle lane and in the northern regions - from the end of March until the beginning of May, when the snow will completely melt and the soil will warm up.
Important! The main thing in spring planting is not to miss a suitable time. Raspberries must be in «sleeping» condition, since if the buds begin to bloom before planting in open ground, the plant will take root for a long time and grow poorly.
It is very important to choose the right place for planting raspberries so that the plant does not suffer from a deficiency of sun and moisture. It is preferable to choose a well-lit area for standard raspberries so that the sun's rays fall on the bushes throughout the day.
Not only the taste and size of berries, but also the productivity of the plant directly depends on the amount of light. So that in winter the plants do not suffer from strong cold winds, it is better to plant raspberries so that from the northern part of the site there is protection in the form of some kind of structure.
You should avoid planting raspberries in closed pits (hollows) that are poorly ventilated, from which the root system suffers from a lack of oxygen and often dies. Groundwater should approach the soil surface no closer than 1 m, otherwise the raspberry roots will suffer from excess moisture and rot.
If there is a risk of stagnation of water throughout the site, the plant is provided with good drainage. To do this, they dig a trench 1 m deep. Crushed stone is poured into the bottom - 10 cm, on top - broken brick (20 cm layer) and sand (20 cm). They fill up the remaining space with loamy soil, thereby providing a fertile layer for the normal nutrition of the bush.
Selection and preparation of planting material
To buy exactly the sort that you planned to plant on the site, it is better to avoid spontaneous markets, points of sale by the road and dubious shops.
To purchase high-quality seedlings, you should visit the nursery, where it is guaranteed that you can buy a healthy and strong plant.
The main characteristics of a healthy seedling suitable for purchase:
- trunk diameter of at least 1 cm;
- the base of the stem has several sufficiently developed buds;
- the presence of a branched strong root system.
A quality seedling does not require special preparation for planting, but in the case of long-term transportation, the open root system should be wrapped in a damp natural fabric or dug in a wide container with fertile soil.
Important! If you do not know what a high-quality seedling of standard raspberries should look like, it is advised to find a photo on the Internet (you should read more than one review to get the necessary information about a particular variety).
Raspberry tree planting is carried out in a trench. The planting scheme is as follows: between plants leave a distance of 1 m, the aisles should be at least 1.5 m.
Algorithm for planting a standard plant:
- Initially, a trench should be dug with a depth of 50 cm and a width of 60 cm.
- A nutrient layer is laid at the bottom of the moat, the thickness of which should be 15 cm. Peat, rotted manure or compost should be used as fertilizer, which will feed the root system for 5 years.
- The nutrient layer is sprinkled with fertile soil - garden soil or peat (thickness - 15 cm).
- Seedlings are placed in a trench so that the roots of the plants are spread in different directions. Sprinkle with fertile soil and compacted a little to well fix the planting material.
- After planting, seedlings are immediately pruned, leaving a trunk height of not more than 20 cm.
- The soil around each seedling is abundantly watered and mulched with straw or sawdust to prevent weed growth and moisture preservation.
To get a good crop and keep raspberries planting healthy, you need to properly care for the plant, following the following tips:
- after complete rooting of the bush and its readiness for fruiting, shoots are sprayed with Topaz preparation (according to the instructions). Such manipulation is necessary to prevent damage to the plant by bacterial and fungal diseases;
- in May, the bush should be treated with a solution against pests based on the drug "BI-58", according to the instructions;
- during flowering and fruiting, the bush is regularly watered to stimulate the formation of large fruits. Under each bush, pour up to 10 liters of water at a time. Watering is carried out once a week - provided there is no natural rainfall;
- so that the plant actively increases fruit shoots, it is fertilized in the spring, during the beginning of the growing season. Organic matter is introduced into the soil - manure, compost or peat, digging around the trunk circle. Up to 5 kg of fertilizer are used per 1 m²;
- pruning of the plant is carried out regularly in order to remove the fruiting shoots, form a bush for better fruiting in the next season, remove diseased, damaged and deformed shoots, which will help maintain the health of the bush. For proper pruning, a double method is used, which involves saving one shoot for substitution. It is cut by 15 cm at the end of May, provided that the shoot length is not less than 1 m. By the end of the season, you can form a strong bush with 5 side shoots. Subsequent pruning is carried out every spring, the shoots are shortened to 15 cm.
Harvesting and storage
You can harvest raspberries of the Terenty variety in the second half of July, as the berries ripen together. You can get enough fruits for processing at a time.
The need for immediate consumption or processing of berries is due to their poor preservation and inability to transport due to the delicate texture of the berries.Fresh raspberries should be stored in the refrigerator at a temperature of + 2 ° C to + 5 ° C, observing a humidity level of 90%. But more than 4 days to maintain the freshness of the fruit does not work.
Raspberry Terenty is ideal for growing in a temperate climate, where you can provide the right conditions for high yields. To collect high-quality, large fruits, it is necessary to observe the peculiarities of agricultural technology for standard raspberries and timely to carry out basic agricultural manipulations.