How to feed raspberries in the spring so that there is a good harvest
Cultivated plants, such as raspberries, need extra nutrition throughout the season. Spring recharge is especially important, as the plant weakened during the winter. The article below details the intricacies of this procedure.
Spring top dressing raspberries: features
Spring is a time of vegetation, growing green mass, preparation for flowering and fruiting. From whether raspberries are enough nutrients, its willingness to bear fruit will depend. During this period, it is important to apply the right feeding method at the right time.
Did you know? The ancient Greeks and Romans from raspberry flowers prepared a tincture, which served as a kind of antidote for scorpion and snake bites.
The root method of fertilizer is applied most often in the spring, because, thus, the plant absorbs the necessary elements faster. The preparation may be dry, for example, in powder or granules, or liquid in the form of an aqueous solution. In any form, the root method means introducing near the root system, in the hole during planting or in the soil of the trunk circle. So that food is better and faster absorbed by the culture, it is combined with watering.
The foliar method, or by leaf, is good when the bush needs an ambulance. In this case, the foliage will quickly receive the missing elements, without waiting until the fertilizer spreads through the stems through the roots throughout the bush. There is one “but”: foliar application nourishes the ground part, and the root system will receive only a small fraction.
Therefore, the method is good only when emergency assistance is needed or in such cases:
- the heavy structure of the soil poorly passes nutrition and moisture;
- the soil is waterlogged (melt water or rainfall);
- the roots are damaged mechanically or due to illness, pests;
- increased acidity of the soil interferes with the absorption of nutrients.
Raspberries begin to be fed from early spring, often the first procedure is still carried out in the snow. It is right to do this when part of the snow cover has already melted and the territory of the raspberry is partially free from it. In this case, the scattered granules or powder of the drug along with melt water is absorbed into the soil.If it is not possible to carry out the early procedure, then it is carried out after the snow melts, when the kidneys swell. Root processes that came to life after winter perfectly absorb all the elements offered. Repair raspberries absorb fertilizer better when the soil warms up and dries well. Conventional varieties often fertilize at a later date before bud formation.
The earlier the first feeding, the faster the plant will grow green mass and release flower buds. If the main nutrition is introduced during the first procedure, the second is needed to obtain additional micro and macro elements that are useful for flowering. Early raspberry varieties bloom in May , experienced gardeners recommend walking along a leaf with a preparation with fruit-improving elements.
In the agricultural sector, for a long time, success has been successfully used as fertilizer for future crops: sowing with the subsequent incorporation of green manure into the soil. Many gardeners have adopted this method of improving land quality.For planting raspberries, cereal herbs, as well as phacelia, are suitable.
Preparation of the site for cultural planting in most cases begins in the fall. Gardeners cultivate the soil, digging and cleaning from plant debris, and then sow a mixture of cereals in the winter. In early spring, these crops are mowed and embedded in the ground, where they decompose safely, saturating the earth with useful elements.
Did you know? There is a version that the name "raspberry", meaning "hangout" in the slang of a criminal element, is not actually connected with the berry. This name comes from the word "melina", which in Hebrew means "refuge".
- In addition to pre-planting crops, phacelia is planted in the rows between raspberries, where it exhibits such useful properties:
- increase in soil permeability;
- weed suppression;
- normalization of soil acidity;
- saturation of the earth with organic substances;
- attraction of pollinator insects, which increases the yield;
- prevention of fungal diseases;
- scaring away soil pests and larvae of sucking insects.
Organic top dressing
Organics call animal waste, bird droppings, rotted plant debris. These are natural substances that do not have a negative effect on plants and do not accumulate in their tissues. The only thing that an agrarian needs to know is precautions when calculating the rate of the remedy, since organics are quite aggressive and can burn the root system.
Important! During the introduction of organics, you need to ensure that the infusion does not fall on the leaves: it can leave burns after evaporation.
Organic fertilizer rules:
- Herbal infusion. The green part of the freshly cut grass is ground, poured with water and left for a week for fermentation with constant stirring. The finished infusion is diluted with water 1: 5, more often used for watering during flowering, since the herbs contain the potassium needed during this period.
- Manure. Cow or horse manure is used, which must be rotted: fresh substance is too aggressive. The root method is to fertilize the soil (4-6 kg / m²). For foliar feeding, an infusion is prepared - the manure is poured with water and left to ferment for 7-10 days. Stirring. Then diluted with water 1:10 and watered the tree trunk circle.
- Chicken droppings. Insist the substance in the same way as the previous one, but dilute 1:20. Bird droppings are oversaturated with minerals, therefore more aggressive.
Mineral compounds are most often complexes with several elements. In the spring, nitrogen is one of the most important components. This element strengthens the plant, protecting against diseases, stimulates the growth of greenery. According to the advice of experienced farmers, after applying nitrogen, you need to add wood ash to balance the acidity of the soil. Nitrogen compounds are added before the fruiting period, if you add the substance later, this will significantly reduce resistance to frost.
Important! Unsuitable for raspberries are potassium chloride and potassium salt: they can provoke chlorosis. A safe tool is potassium sulfate.
- urea - the product is diluted with water (30 g / 10 l) and watered, or scattered on the surface, sprinkled with earth (20 g / m²);
- ammonium nitrate - the product is not suitable for the foliar method, it is applied to the soil (10 g / m²).
On poor soils or with existing problems with cultivation last year, in late spring or early summer, the following complex is used (per m²):
- ammonium nitrate 30 g;
- potassium sulfate 40 g;
- superphosphate 60 g
Correctly introduce mineral complexes on wet soil, if it is dry, then after fertilizing, watering is necessary.
Secrets of caring for horticultural crops are passed down from generation to generation. Sometimes top dressing from improvised products are more useful in composition than purchased complexes.
So, popular folk spring feeding:
- wood ash - sprinkle in the near-stem circle (100 g / m²) or prepare an infusion (200 g / 10 l). A couple of points need to be taken into account - you cannot use ash from household waste, you cannot use ash immediately after applying nitrogen, only after 12-14 days.Ash, in addition to nutrition, will provide the plant with protection from pests and diseases;
- potato peel - the vegetable grows in almost every area, so there is no doubt about the availability. Peel is added to compost or infusion is prepared. 1 kg of cleanings is poured with 10 liters of hot water, insisted for 3-5 days, watered under the root;
- yeast - will serve as a good nitrogen fertilizer, in addition to saturating the plant with food, the product accelerates the decomposition of organic elements in the soil. You can use dry and lively yeast, sugar is added to prepare the solution to activate their effect;
- boric acid - in order to stimulate flowering and fruiting in late spring, raspberries are sprayed with a solution of boric acid and potassium permanganate, 1 g / 10 l of water each. Funds are freely sold in the pharmacy and are inexpensive, and the benefits of them are tangible.
Which of the described fertilizers to apply in your garden: purchased or folk, organic or mineral personal choice of each gardener. It is important to know what kind of complexes raspberries need in the spring, because their further development depends on them.