Remontant raspberry tree (standard raspberry) Bogatyr: features
The talking name for the raspberry variety Bogatyr refers not only to its record-breaking fruits, but also to the bush, which is a real tree 2 meters high. Raspberry Heroic tree is capable of producing up to 5 high yields of delicious berries per season. Description of the repairing standard raspberry raspberry Bogatyr read further in the article.
Remontant early standard raspberry Bogatyr
This raspberry variety is also characterized by frost resistance and resistance to many diseases and pests.
Did you know? The three most active raspberry producers in the world include Russia, Serbia and the United States.
Features of Raspberries
Due to the transformation of raspberry cuttings into a thick stem, the plant acquires the features and properties of a tree reaching a 2-meter height. This is achieved through a pinch system. Not only the aerial part of the plant is transformed, but also its root system, which no longer expands in the space of the garden, but acquires the condition of tree roots.
As a result, standard raspberries become the owner of a number of features and benefits expressed:
- good fruiting;
- the ability of its branches to confidently withstand the weight of large berries without bending under their weight;
- high gastronomic qualities of fruits;
- their good transportability due to the dense consistency of pulp;
- lack of need to arrange trellises for caring for the plant.
Appearance of the Bogatyr variety, size and type of berries, productivity
The tree-like raspberry Bogatyr has the formless branches with shortened internodes. The fruits are arranged in the form of brushes and are able to gain a mass of 20 g each. They have a red color, have an elongated shape and are distinguished by a sweet and sour dessert taste and a characteristic raspberry aroma. Depending on the growing conditions of this variety, it is able to produce from 5 to 12 kg of berries from each bush.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
- As mentioned above, the standard raspberry raspberry Bogatyr has many positive properties:
- its stable yield is practically independent of weather conditions;
- gastronomic qualities of berries make them universal in application;
- the density of the pulp contributes to the good preservation of the berries and their transportability;
- the variety shows resistance to viral diseases;
- easy to clean;
- possesses frost resistance, while being able to withstand short-term frosts up to -30 ° C;
- the trunk structure allows you to resist strong gusts of wind.
- The minor flaws of the variety, according to gardeners, usually include:
- the cost of seedlings, since this variety does not produce enough shoots for propagation;
- exactingness to liming the soil with its even low acidity.
Planting seedlings of Bogatyr and subsequent care for them does not present great difficulties, although some features of this variety should be noted.
For the raspberries under discussion, it is necessary to choose a site with good lighting and high soil fertility. Although raspberries prefer moist soil, groundwater should not come close to the surface of the earth, however, to prevent decay of the root system. Even slightly acidified soil must be liming. With a greater acidity of the soil, the amount of lime introduced during digging can reach 0.5 kg per 1 sq. Km. m
- The best raspberry predecessors on the site are:
- It is undesirable to plant raspberries after:
Important! Bogatyr raspberries should not be grown in the same place for longer than 10 years, as this leads to irreplaceable depletion of the soil and degeneration of the variety.
Landing and care
Stacked raspberries can be planted in spring or autumn. Spring planting is practiced in regions with a cool climate. It is carried out before the sap flow in the plant. Most often this happens in mid-April. In the southern regions with long and warm autumn, seedlings are planted in late September or early October. During spring planting, the soil is prepared ahead of the previous fall, and for autumn planting of seedlings, the soil is prepared at least one and a half months. Organic fertilizers in the form of mullein, humus or compost are applied to the area under the raspberries.
The very process of planting raspberry seedlings proceeds as follows:
- On a previously prepared site, dig holes or trenches with a depth of 0.3 m.
- Peat, compost, sawdust and humus are laid in small layers on their bottom. These layers are interspersed with layers of garden earth.
- Before planting, the seedlings are shortened by 0.4 m, and their roots are briefly lowered into the clay solution.
- Then the roots are straightened and lowered into the pits or trenches.
- The distance between adjacent seedlings should be 1 m, and between the rows - 2 m.
- After filling the roots with fertile soil, the seedlings are abundantly watered.
- To maintain optimal moisture in the root system, the soil around the plants is mulched with chopped peat, sawdust, dry humus or compost.
Subsequent care consists of:
- fertilizing with fertilizers;
- weeding and loosening the soil;
- protection against diseases and pests;
- preparing for wintering.
For raspberries that prefer moist soil, watering is especially relevant during periods of active growth of green mass and fruit setting. In dry weather, raspberry plantings are watered weekly, pouring a bucket of water under each booth. It should be remembered that raspberry variety Bogatyr does not tolerate waterlogging, so in rainy weather the intensity of watering should be reduced. Most preferred is drip irrigation.
Important! The raspberry variety Bogatyr requires well-balanced watering, since it is not only waterlogged, but also a lack of moisture in the soil, which leads to chopping of the fruits.
Pest and Disease Control
Although the raspberry variety Bogatyr is resistant to viral diseases, in violation of the agrotechnical rules for cultivating it, it may be susceptible to fungal diseases and pest attacks.
Most often, raspberries suffer from:
- Gray rot (botritis), characterized by the formation on the fruits of gray plaque containing fungal spores, which, spreading, can infect the entire raspberry. In addition to fruits, gray rot also affects foliage. The affected parts of the plant must be removed and burned as soon as possible, excessively thickened plantings should be thinned out, and the remaining plants should be treated with fungicides.
- Anthracnose, manifested by gray-white spots with a dark red edging on the stems, leaves and fruits. Developing, the disease leads to exfoliation of the bark on the branches and to the drying of the leaves. To combat anthracnose, the affected plants must be removed immediately, and the remaining treated with copper-containing drugs at least 3 times during the season.
- White and purple spottingwhich forms white with black dots or reddish spots on foliage and stems. They also fight this disease through copper-containing products, and as a preventive measure they spray plants with 1% Bordeaux fluid.
- Raspberry rust, characterized by the formation of yellow growths on the leaves and stems, leading to the drying of the stems and wilting of the leaves. As a prevention and control of the disease, the fallen leaves are collected and burned, the aisles are dug deep, and the plants are sprayed with a 1% Bordeaux mixture three times a season.
Raspberries are most actively attacked by such pests:
- Raspberry beetle, which damages the buds, and its larvae eat the fruits. To combat the pest during the period of bud formation, the plant is treated with “Karbofos”.
- Raspberry stem fly, which lays eggs in the sinuses and on the tops of the shoots. Hatched larvae gnaw the core of shoots. They also fight the pest by spraying plants with “Karbofos”, as well as destroying the affected bushes.
- Stem Raspberry Gall midge, which also damages the stems from the inside. They fight it through Actellik, Iskra-M, Alatara and Fufanon.
- Shoot raspberry aphid, which creates entire colonies on the shoots and leaves, which lead to twisting of foliage, inhibition of shoot growth and drying out of flowers. They destroy aphids with the same preparations as the gall midge.
To prevent the onset of raspberry diseases and pest attacks, repair raspberry varieties, to which Bogatyr belongs, are treated with colloidal garden sulfur or Tiovit-Jet. Also, for prophylactic purposes, the treatment of raspberry plants with "Topaz" and "BI-58" is used.
Did you know? Raspberries, in addition to the traditional red color, can also have yellow, purple and even black color.
Bogatyr varieties raspberries are propagated:
- root cuttings;
- young shoots.
The second method is the most popular and simple, but its application is inhibited by the property of this raspberry variety to give a limited amount of shoots. When using them for propagation, the processes are separated from the mother plant, coupled with a lump of earth, and immediately planted in a new place, previously enriched with organic matter, mineral fertilizers and wood ash.After abundant watering, the soil around the seedling is mulched with sawdust, chopped peat or dry humus. The next year after planting, seedlings are already able to produce crops. When propagating by root cuttings, root offspring, on which several buds must be present, are separated from the undermined parent plant. They are placed in a mixture of peat and sand for rooting and germination. Then a year later they are moved to a permanent place of growth.
Pruning and wintering
To grow a raspberry tree, it is necessary to trim the plant, consisting of 2 stages:
- First time pinch raspberries in May after planting a seedling. At the same time, the height of the seedling should reach a height of at least 0.6 m. During pruning, the length of the shoots is shortened by 0.1 m, which stimulates the appearance of new branches near the slices.
- Next year in spring, pinch new branches of the second order, grown in areas of last year's sections. After the end of spring frosts, the length of the branches is reduced by 0.15 m. Next to fresh cuts, shoots of the third order then grow, which already in the autumn give a yield of berries.
Harvesting and transportation
Delicate raspberry berries are recommended to be picked early in the morning or in the evening without fail in dry weather.In no case should the dew or raindrops be present on the berries, which will drastically reduce the shelf life of the fruit. Usually the berries are removed without a stalk. Keeping it somewhat slows down the harvest process, but it improves the shelf life and transportability of berries.
These indicators also improve the collection of slightly unripe berries. Raspberries are collected in small lattice or in other containers with vents, from which then it should not be transferred to other containers. In the refrigerator at a temperature of 0 ... + 2 ° C, Bogatyr remontant raspberries can be stored for up to 7 days.Raspberry in the shape of a tree, on which berries grow the size of a small plum and have a good taste and unique raspberry aroma, able to withstand cold weather and give a consistently high yield, cannot but attract the attention of both amateur and professional gardeners. In a short time raspberries of the Bogatyr variety were able to “inhabit” vast horticultural spaces in Europe, Siberia, and the Far East.