Raspberries varieties Patricia: characteristics, features of agricultural technology
When choosing a variety for planting, gardeners want to get the best raspberry, which would combine both high yield and large-fruited, and, of course, excellent taste characteristics with a rich aroma. All this is harmoniously combined in grade Patricia. You will find information about it and the details of cultivation in this article.
The Patricia variety was bred by the Russian selector in 1992 - V.V. Kichin received it by crossing the Maroseyka variety with the donor M102. Patricia immediately attracted the attention of gardeners. It appeared on sale from 1992 and to this day is very popular.
Did you know? Russia is the world leader in raspberry cultivation. Almost half of the world's raspberry shrubs are located in this country.
Description and characteristics of the variety
Raspberries of this variety are not remontant, therefore, it bears fruit only once a year. Such a variety is called ordinary. By maturity, it belongs to the early and is considered large-fruited. Patricia has a peculiarity - an unusually long period of bearing fruit. If in most varieties it lasts 1-2 months, then in Patricia this period can last 3 months, and throughout the entire period the fruits do not lose weight and productivity. For this reason, many gardeners are trying to attribute this variety to the maintenance ones.
Bushes reach 1.8 meters. Young shoots usually do not have spikes. The leaves are bright green, large, with serrated edges. New leaves may sometimes have a reddish tint. On fruit branches, up to 20 berries are formed. They are large (up to 12 g) with a velvet surface. The shape is truncated-conical, often deformed. The color of the berries is purple, the taste is sweet with a rich aroma.
For Patricia, temperate regions are best suited. It is adapted for cultivation in Russia.
Advantages and disadvantages
No wonder Patricia is becoming a favorite variety in an increasing number of gardeners.
- It has a list of benefits:
- yield 2 times higher than other similar raspberry varieties;
- large fruits do not lose taste, as is often the case with other varieties;
- a small amount of seeds in the fruits;
- the variety is resistant to standard diseases of raspberries, is not affected by raspberry aphids;
- long fruiting period;
- high taste characteristics;
- there are no thorns on the stems;
- A small amount of seeds makes this raspberry ideal for making desserts, because the seeds often spoil the taste.
- However, in addition to all the advantages, there are also disadvantages:
- judging by the reviews, the fruits due to excessive juiciness poorly tolerate transportation;
- tall bush complicates harvesting;
- due to the tendency of the bushes to grow, they need constant care;
- with excess moisture, the fruits can begin to rot;
- the shape of the fruit is often deformed.
However, these disadvantages are considered insignificant in comparison with the positive qualities.
Video: Raspberry varieties Patricia
Drought resistance, frost resistance
One of the most important benefits of Patricia's raspberries is its resistance to frost. If ordinary varieties die at temperatures of -15 ° C, then it is good tolerates frosts to -34 ° C. This is considered an extremely high rate. Raspberries can survive even lower temperatures, but only in special shelters, or under a good layer of snow.
Also, this variety is characterized as drought tolerant. It tolerates mild drought, but does not respond well to excess moisture.
Productivity and fruiting
The greatest fruiting efficiency in Patricia occurs in the third year. Prior to this, a significantly smaller number of fruits may be observed. This variety is considered high yielding.: at home, this figure can reach 11 kg, and in large industrial areas - up to 27 t / ha. Such impressive indicators are possible due to the “giants” that this raspberry gives in abundance.
Any gardener will be able to cope with the cultivation of Raspberry Patricia, this process does not require a lot of time and effort. The main thing is to follow the simple rules of agricultural technology, which will be discussed below.
Like most varieties of raspberries, Patricia can be planted both in the autumn and spring seasons. In spring, seedlings are planted until new buds germinate. However autumn landing is considered more favorable. A planted plant before the winter season will be able to gain strength and prepare for fruiting next year. The best months are September-November.
Choosing the right place
Gardeners, who have been engaged in raspberry cultivation for more than a year, are advised to pay attention to the following parameters when choosing a site:
- Shine. Raspberries need a lot of light. The peculiarity of Patricia is that her leaves are not afraid of sunburn - therefore, she does not need shading. This plant needs to be planted in the most open area, with sufficient open sunlight. It is important to pay attention to neighboring buildings, there should not be high structures near the landings. It is also worth considering that in the summer seasons large deciduous vegetation appears on trees and shrubs and the area of shading from them will be much larger. The lack of coverage can lead to consequences such as reduced yields and resistance to diseases and pests.
- Humidity. Ideal soil for raspberries should retain moisture, but not allow its excess. However, moisture is important not only in soil but also in air. In areas of highlands or steppes where the air is too dry, Patricia bears fruit much worse. A sufficient rainfall for raspberries is estimated to be around 750 mm / year.
- Temperature. For the ripening of berries and the good development of shoots, Patricia needs a vegetative period of 130 days with a temperature above + 10 ° С.
Clay and sandy soils are completely unsuitable for growing raspberries, because moisture does not linger on them and such soils require a large amount of fertilizer. Also, areas where water stagnation is observed are not suitable. The best will be:
- sandy loam soil;
- fertile black earth.
The earth should be loose, fertilized and well moistened. The acidity level should not exceed 6.5 pH. Before planting raspberries, you need to properly prepare the soil: for this, all garbage, excess vegetation and weeds are removed.
Important! In one area, raspberries cannot be grown for more than 10 years in a row.
It is necessary to dig the earth and the plants will feel better if, during the preparation of the soil, you make:
- fresh manure - 6 kg / m²;
- superphosphate - 60 g / m²;
- potassium - 20 g / m².
Such top dressing should be carried out 5 months before the planting of new seedlings. This requires good planning. If the soil has not been prepared in advance, and it is time to land the planting, then you can add complex garden fertilizers and humus to the soil.
Selection and preparation of planting material
The selection and purchase of planting material is one of the first and most important steps in growing any crop. In order for the plant to grow healthy, you need to pay attention to the following parameters of the seedling:
- The thickness of the stem should be at least 0.5 cm.
- A sign of a healthy seedling is the presence of green buds.
- The root system must have many roots.
- There should be no signs of rotting or parasite damage.
It is also better to purchase seedlings in specialized trusted stores, and not in the spontaneous market. In the nursery, as a rule, they always sell healthy plants.Due to this, the price will naturally be higher. The length of the shoot does not matter much, since before landing it must be pruned.
Before planting seedlings in the soil, it is recommended to soak their root system in a special stimulator - this increases the likelihood of successful planting of bushes
Patricia varieties of raspberries are recommended to be grown by the bush method. When planting, the distance between the bushes should be about a meter - at this distance, each bush will be able to receive enough sunlight and air. It is better not to save space, because the bushes of Patricia have a tendency to overgrow.
Regardless of the chosen method of planting (beds, trenches, etc.), the steps of planting will be as follows:
- Dig a recess in the soil. It should be made shallow, because the roots of raspberries do not grow in depth, but in breadth.
- Shorten the seedling to 0.3 meters.
- Put it in the hole and spread the roots. The root neck can be deepened by 2-3 cm.
- Sprinkle the remaining space with soil mixture and lightly compact.
- Plants need to be watered abundantly; It is also advisable to mulch them so that the moisture does not evaporate.
Patricia raspberry variety is especially good because it does not require complex care. This is a great advantage for growing raspberries on an industrial scale per hectare. Patricia does not need dusting with earth, the creation of structures and conditions for warming, but some care is still needed. It includes:
- Pruning. Pruning is done in autumn, spring and summer. It consists in the removal of prolific shoots, as well as excess shoots and weeds. Trim the shoots under the root - so that they do not leave stumps. On one bush, it is better to leave up to five strong shoots. When pruning, use special garden shears or pruners.
- Fertilizer. For the good development of the bushes, they need three top dressings per season. The first is held at the end of March, for this top dressing it is advisable to use fertilizers containing the main substances necessary for raspberries - potassium, phosphorus and nitrogen. One matchbox of such fertilizer is introduced per 1 m² of the landing area. The second top dressing is carried out before the flowering period. It is recommended to use superphosphate and potassium sulfate in a proportion of 5 tbsp. l for 10 liters of water. The last top dressing is necessary after trimming the plant in the fall, so that it regains strength. Fertilizer is used the same as before flowering.
- Watering. It is better to pour water under a bush or in a trench - it is not recommended that moisture get on the leaves. The soil under the plant should always be slightly moist. Usually 8 liters of water are enough for 1 m² of Patricia's landings. Watering should be increased in arid and hot weather.To check the soil moisture level, you can grab a lump of earth from a depth of 15 cm. If it does not fall apart, then you do not need to water the plants yet
Harvesting and storage
Raspberries are harvested as they ripen. There is no need to rush too much, the fruits of Patricia firmly hold on to their stalks. Here are some tips on how to harvest properly:
- Collection should be carried out in dry weather without precipitation. Humidity on the fruit can cause mold.
- Mandatory use of gloves.
- Sorting should occur immediately during harvesting, that is, he does not tolerate busting later.
- Stack berries in baskets or boxes so that the number of layers does not exceed five.
It is recommended that you do not store this berry for a long time and eat it as soon as possible. At a temperature of + 20 ° C, raspberries are stored for up to 10 hours. In the refrigerator, this time can be extended up to three days, the main thing is not to place the container under the freezer: this is too cold an environment for fruits. We must not forget that raspberries have the ability to absorb aroma, so the environment in which it is stored should not contain extraneous odors.
Due to its uniquely high frost resistance, Patricia does not need shelters for the winter. However, they may still be required in such cases:
- sharp and strong decrease in temperature;
- gusts of cold wind;
- insufficient snow.
In these cases, agrofibre or roofing material can be used as a shelter. It is also useful to mulch raspberries for the winter. Mulching consists in covering the soil of plants with organic materials; they can be hay, needles, foliage, humus, etc. Such a layer of organic matter will protect the plant from drying out and limit access to insects. The recommended thickness of the mulch layer is 15 cm.
Growing bushes of raspberry Patricia, you can safely count on the expansion of your raspberry. These bushes grow rapidly, and different methods of reproduction suit them. Best recommended method of dividing the bush or overgrown cuttings.
Did you know? Raspberry contains copper, so it is recommended for people suffering from depression.
Cutting method is now the most popular - it is believed that it can preserve all varietal properties. To do this, cut the stalk from the green root offspring. The cutlery is placed in a stimulating solution until it begins to form roots.
Raspberry has good adaptive qualities. It is better to carry out reproduction in the spring, so the cuttings will take root better and will be easier to tolerate low temperatures. If the plant is propagated in autumn, there is a risk that young plants will die from the cold
Diseases and Pests
This variety is especially good because it is not susceptible to common diseases of raspberries. He is immune to diseases such as:
However, Patricia is often affected by late blight and needs to be prevented. To prevent the development of this disease, follow these rules:
- Do not place raspberry planting next to potatoes.
- Avoid excessive moisture on the leaves.
- Inspect the bushes regularly.
- Sick and affected bushes should be removed immediately.
The most likely signs of the disease can be identified by the roots of the plant - on the ground parts of the symptoms appear a few months later.
A sign of root damage with late blight will be the following:
- a small number of subordinate roots;
- the roots are bare, similar to rat tails;
- gradual death of root processes.
In this case, special treatment is needed. The most common raspberry insect pests are strawberry raspberry weevil and raspberry beetle. Regular loosening of the soil will be a good prevention, that is, where wintering bugs are located. Pulling out into the fresh air, they are more likely to die. Also good is spraying with Isca M and Kinmix.
It is not for nothing that this variety has earned an excellent reputation; it was loved by both gardeners and customers for its high palatability, as well as other undoubted advantages. After reading this article, you yourself can begin to grow bushes of Patricia. Follow the simple rules of care, and soon raspberries will delight you with a good harvest.
Network user reviews
The berries are really great taste, very fragrant. ))) The good news is that there are no spikes, it's more pleasant to collect. Ripens in my region since June 25th. For some reason, the largest berries take on a non-standard shape, are deformed, bent, often double berries come across - these are the first harvest, then the normal standard berries come. The color of the berry is light red. The berries themselves are very attractive in appearance and are in demand in the market ... Timely and FULL berry harvesting is important, because when ripe berries remain (especially in rainy weather like this summer), I notice rot on the berries, with the defeat of neighboring berries ... I don’t apply chemistry ... In general, the impressions of the 5 year cultivation are very positive, not counting the minor nuances ...