The new representative of the Glen family - Glein Fine-free raspberries: description, productivity
The summer period is characterized by the ripening of a large number of berries and fruits. One of the leading places is raspberries. Today, new varieties with large fruits, resistant to major diseases, unpretentious to growing conditions, and giving high yields are becoming increasingly popular. Such varieties include raspberry Glen Fine, a description of the main characteristics of which will be discussed in the article.
Description of Raspberry Glen Fine
This variety was developed by selection by Scottish scientists from the parent variety Glen Ampl. Glen Fine Raspberry berries were recognized as the most delicious in 2009, and in 2010 they won the championship for productivity. It is recommended for cultivation both in the closed, and in open grounds.
Refers to summer varieties with medium early ripening. If you correctly adhere to the rules of agricultural technology, the fruits are formed of large sizes, good taste quality, with a long period of fruiting.
Important! In warm regions, raspberries Glen Fayn can show remontance, giving a new crop in late August and early September.
Appearance of the bush, characteristics of berries, fruiting time
The bushes form powerful plants with a maximum height of up to 2.5 m. They have a strong root system, and in loose soil the roots penetrate to a depth of 60 cm, and in dense - up to 10-15 cm. Raspberry shoots are not covered with thorns, live for 2 years : in the first year, fruit buds form on them, in the second year they already bear fruit. Bushes bloom in June.
Fruits ripen large, weighing from 6 to 10 g, saturated red, elongated. It tastes sweet with a wonderful fruity aroma. A feature of this variety is that the berries are well attached to the peduncle and can hang on it for up to 5 days without crumbling. The fruiting period is quite long, allowing you to harvest several times.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
- The advantages of raspberries Glen Fine can be called such qualities:
- gives a large crop;
- not afraid of drought and frost;
- has strong shoots and roots;
- may bloom several times in one season;
- not susceptible to underlying diseases;
- excellent presentation;
- high nutritional quality of fruits;
- universal application;
- good transportability of berries;
- the fruits do not crumble;
- does not require pollinators.
- The disadvantages of this variety include:
- bushes require tying to a support;
- may get root rot, powdery mildew.
Video: Glen Fine Fine Raspberries
Agro-technical measures for growing Glen Fine raspberries are not complicated and do not require much effort. They consist in a properly selected place for planting seedlings, regular watering, top dressing, loosening the soil, combating diseases and pests, garter bushes, preparing for wintering.
Did you know? Due to the copper contained in raspberries, this berry helps fight depression.
It is better to choose a place for planting seedlings of raspberries Glen Fayn sunny, with loose (loamy or loamy sand) soil. Ground water should lie at a depth of 1.5 m. The bed must first be cleaned of weeds, dig deeply, make the necessary fertilizers.
Landing and care
Planting seedlings and further care for them consist of the following steps:
- Shoots should be no older than 1 year old, 1.5–2 cm thick, 10 cm long, with the top trimmed, and have 4–5 buds.
- You can plant plants from spring to autumn, best of all on cloudy days.
- Seedlings should be placed at a distance of 0.5 m from each other.
- Dig holes with a depth of 35 cm and a width of 30 cm.
- Up to 3 shoots can be planted in one recess so that the bush is stronger.
- In the pit, add a little humus, 5 g of superphosphate, 2 g of potassium salt.
- Deepen the roots of the plant into the pit by 5 cm.
- Tamp the earth around the seedlings, pour 1/2 bucket of water into 1 hole in the water.
- Cover the trunk area with mulch.
- 5-7 days after planting, water the bushes. Later, another 2-3 waterings per season are sufficient.
- Loosen the soil regularly, weed weed.
- You can fertilize raspberries next year using superphosphate, potassium salt, mullein solution, and bird droppings.
Pest and Disease Control
Raspberry Glen Fine can be affected by the following diseases:
- Root rot - appears on old roots in the form of necrosis, the lower leaves turn yellow, fall off. It develops due to high humidity. It can be prevented by loosening the soil, cleansing dense shoots and weeds, destroying infected fruits, spraying with 1% solution of copper sulfate, with the help of Gamair, Fitosporin.
- Powdery mildew - occurs as a gray or white coating on all parts of the plant as a result of prolonged dampness. The fight against this ailment consists in destroying diseased bushes, digging the soil, sprinkling earth around the plants with wood ash, treating raspberries with Fitosporin, Fitocid, Gamair, 1% Bordeaux mixture, etc.
Important! The occurrence of fungal diseases on raspberries Glen Fine is most often due to high humidity. Such conditions are usually found in closed soils.
Due to their high productivity, Glen Fine raspberry bushes require a garter to the trellis, which consists of the following procedures:
- Dig 2-meter pillars into the ground, deepening them by 0.5 m, at a distance of 5-8 m from each other;
- pull the wire at a height of 1 and 1.5 m from the ground;
- fix the stems to the wire so that the shoots are not rubbed and not damaged during a strong wind.
Glen Fine can be grown not only in open areas, but also in greenhouses, adhering to the rules of planting and further care for the bushes. Experienced gardeners are advised to purchase planting material in nurseries or specialized stores that guarantee the quality of the goods and the conformity of the variety.
The peculiarity of planting raspberries in greenhouses is as follows:
- you need to dig a trench up to 40 cm deep and up to 50 cm wide;
- to plant seedlings at a distance of 60 cm from each other;
- between the rows leave a gap of 2 m;
- when planting plants, make sure that the neck of the root is at ground level;
- tamp the soil around the seedlings and water abundantly.
Watering and feeding
After the raspberries are planted in the greenhouse, it is necessary to establish regular care for it, which consists in applying fertilizers and observing the irrigation regime. In closed ground, the bushes should be watered 2 times a week under the root and after each moistening, the soil should be loosened so that there is no stagnation of water.
The near-stem zone can also be covered with mulch from humus, sawdust, straw, etc.
Top dressing must be done 1 time in 2 weeks along with watering. It is advisable to alternate organic substances with minerals.
As fertilizers, you can use humus, urea, superphosphate, ammonium nitrate, etc.
Remember to periodically ventilate the greenhouse in warm weather. This will reduce the risk of fungal diseases.
Pruning and wintering
Regardless of the fact that Glen Fine can withstand frosts, experts recommend preparing the bushes for wintering. Thanks to such actions, the plants will be healthy in the spring and raspberries will please with a high yield.
To do this, you need:
- in the autumn, after harvesting, crop raspberry, removing dry and diseased shoots;
- at the first small frosts, remove the bushes from the trellises, gently bend to the ground (but do not touch it) and attach to the stakes;
- cover from above with insulation or straw, in case of severe frosts with snow;
- feed the earth with manure, wood ash, mineral fertilizers.
Did you know? The darker the raspberry, the more useful it is, that is, the most beneficial substances are found in the black fruits of this crop.
Harvesting and transportation
Harvesting raspberries Glen Fine begins in the early period, from mid-June, and lasts approximately 1.5 months. It is best to pick berries in dry weather in a day or two. For transportation it is impossible to allow full ripening of raspberries, it is not necessary to separate the fruits from the stem.
They should be collected in previously prepared clean and dry containers. It is undesirable to pour berries from one container into another (this will ruin the presentation of the product). It is necessary to store the crop in a dark, dry, cool place, at a temperature of 0 ... + 5 ° C, not longer than 2–4 days.
Reviews of summer residents who grow raspberries of the Glen Fayn variety are mostly positive. They claim that you can get a high crop of delicious and sweet berries without much effort. You just need to adhere to all the recommendations for caring for this crop.
Network user reviews
My berry was similar in appearance to Brusvyana and Octavia at the same time. By signalization it’s difficult to judge the variety and, moreover, the yield potential, but in general I like the variety