Raspberry Quelli: characteristics, features of cultivation and care
Quelli raspberries are a product of foreign selection, which will appear only 10 years ago. During this time, a delicious and productive species managed to gain recognition around the world. More details about this variety and the features of its cultivation are described in this article.
A variant of Quelli's raspberry was bred in Holland. Breeding work lasted for 3 years. The Dutch company collaborated with a Spanish exporter called Onubafrut.
Did you know? The first name of this variety sounded like "Quet". When a variety was entered into the State Register, a decision was made to change the name.
Description and characteristic
The Quelli variety is characterized by a mid-spread type of bush. Its height does not exceed 1.5 m. The crown is dense, therefore, little sunlight gets into the berries. The leaves are large, dark green in color. There are roughnesses on the surface of the leaves, and the edges are in the form of sharp teeth.
Powerful shoots, do not break from gusts of wind and the severity of berries. The entire surface of the branches is covered with small thin spikes that do not cause inconvenience to the farmer. The root system is developed in a vertical plane. The depth of the roots reaches 50 cm, so it will be difficult to eradicate the culture, if necessary.
If we consider the description of the fruits, then we can note the presence of such characteristics:
- large sizes;
- round shape;
- light red tint;
- average weight up to 5 g;
- length 3-4 cm;
- the drupe is one-dimensional, easily separated from the pulp.
Did you know? Most publications specializing in the agricultural sector classify Quelli as reference varieties. Therefore, the cost of its seedlings is growing annually.
Advantages and disadvantages
Those who grow the Kvelli variety on the site respond with pleasant words about it.
- The main advantages of the variety are:
- high yields;
- resistance to frost;
- long shelf life and the possibility of transportation;
- pleasant taste.
The disadvantages include low resistance to the diseasem. In addition, the bushes need garters for vertical trellises, which causes certain inconvenience.
Drought resistance, frost resistance
If we consider the indicators of drought tolerance, then they are low at Quelly. It is necessary to water the beds often. The optimal amount of water is 10-15 liters per 1 bush.
The frost resistance is high, therefore, the culture does not need to warm the beds. It is able to withstand frosts down to –17 ° С. If you live in a cold climate, where the temperature is much lower, then you should worry about protecting the bushes.
Productivity and fruiting
The first berry crop of this variety is harvested in August, so the variety is attributed to late crops. For comparison, most repairing varieties begin to ripen in early summer. Berries ripen for 2–2.5 weeks. The fruits do not crumble, so it is not necessary to rush into the harvesting of products.
The yield of the Quelli variety is high for a maintenance crop: 4-5 kg are collected from the bush. From 1 ha, you can collect up to 40 tons of berries. Unfortunately, in Eastern Europe such indicators are rare.
The planting of Kvelli's remont raspberries is a standard procedure. It is necessary to choose high-quality soil, prepare planting material and adhere to a specific planting scheme.
Try to plant this variety on a cloudy day so that the sun's rays do not provoke the evaporation of moisture from the soil. This rule will help plants take root faster in the ground.
Based on the feedback from gardeners, Quelli's raspberries can be planted both in spring and autumn. But the best survival rate of the culture was observed if plants were planted in September - October. The optimal landing dates are considered to be the end of September - the beginning of October. At this time of the year, the soil is warm enough, and the seedling takes root faster. There is also time to prepare the shoots for winter.
Choosing the right place
The soil in which the Quelli raspberry variety is planted should be light and nutritious. Try to select areas of the terrain where groundwater will not come close to the surface of the soil, the depth of 1–2 m is considered optimal.
Raspberries are heat-loving plants, so it needs a lot of light. Planting should be carried out on the south side of the garden, where a large amount of sunlight. Even a minimal shadow can make the berries smaller and worsen their taste.
Important! The optimal acid-base balance of the soil for planting raspberries should be 5-6%. If the indicator is lower or higher, this will negatively affect the yield indicators.
Plant the Kvelli variety after these crops:
You can not plant a variety after potatoes, peppers or raspberries. It is believed that these crops make the soil weak and poor in nutrients.
Selection and preparation of planting material
To get quality products, you need to choose the right planting material. It is better to buy seedlings in private nurseries or in specialized stores. In such places, plants are stored in appropriate conditions, depending on the requirements of the variety. Also, you will never be mistaken with the choice of the desired variety, since they all have their own tablets.
The preparation of planting material consists in the following features:
- If you bought a seedling long before planting, then store it in the ground. To do this, use a regular flower pot. Store the plant at a temperature of + 15 ° C to + 20 ° C.
- A week before planting, place the plant in a solution of Karbofos (20 g per 5 liters of water). This drug enhances the development of shoots and stimulates their growth.
- A few hours before planting, soak the plant in a solution of potassium permanganate (1 tbsp. To 3 liters of water). With it, you destroy all bacteria and fungi that have accumulated on the surface of the root system. As a result, this will positively affect the immune system of the bush.
Before planting, you need to saturate the soil with useful components. Preparations for the autumn landing begin in the spring. First, they dig a plot and add 12 kg of humus per 1 m². After that, water the earth with a solution of superphosphate (30 g per 6 liters of water) to make it nutritious. The optimal solution volume is 10 l per 1 m².
The next step is to plant peas or alfalfa. Then, in early September, they dig a plot along with plants - they will perform the functions of organic fertilizer.
Important! No voids should form in the raspberry root system, otherwise this will provoke root rot and death of the entire bush. To make sure there are no voids, pour 20 l of warm water on each bush.
The dimensions of the hole should be as follows:
- width - 50 cm;
- depth - 60 cm;
Pour 300 g of potassium nitrate into each well. If groundwater is located close to the site, install drainage from crushed stone or sawdust. On the day of planting on the drainage, pour 20 cm of soil and plant a seedling. Fill the hole with earth and compact it tightly.
Caring for the Kvelli raspberry variety can be called simple and inexpensive for the gardener. The first thing you should always take care of is watering. It should be frequent, but with a little water. Excess moisture adversely affects the bushes, as well as its lack. All this can provoke the appearance of dangerous diseases. Water the plants every week, using 15 liters of warm water per 1 bush.
2-3 days after watering, it is necessary to loosen the top layer of the earth so that a crust does not form. If a crust appears on the surface of the soil, then it does not pass air and nutrients into the root system, and as a result, the bushes can die. A necessary care step is weed removal. This is due to the fact that a large number of parasites live on weeds, which negatively affect the yield and condition of the plant.
Feeding must be correct.
If you decide to saturate the soil with useful substances, then adhere to the following recommendations:
- In the spring after the snow melts, it is necessary to add 3 l of potassium nitrate solution (100 g per 10 l of water) under each bush. This substance accelerates the formation of new shoots.
- In summer feed bushes with urea (100 g per 5 l of water). 2 liters of solution are poured under each bush. This increases the yield.
- FallAt the end of October, plants are fed superphosphate (200 g per 12 liters of warm water). For 1 bush should be 3 liters of funds. This will help plants to be resistant to frost.
Pruning is also an important treatment for raspberry bushes.. With it, you can strengthen the immunity of shoots, increase yield and prevent the development of diseases. In spring, you need to cut the shoots that survived after winter, and in the autumn, remove those parts of the bush where signs of disease have appeared.
Harvesting and storage
Quelli's raspberries are harvested in late August - early September. The collection is carried out carefully so as not to damage the shoots. Also, high-quality cleaning will allow you to save berries, which, when performing hasty work, can crumble. Use small boxes to collect fruits in which you need to put the fruits in 1-2 rows.
Berries should be stored in the refrigerator, where they retain their commercial qualities for 1–1.5 weeks. If you leave the boxes at room temperature, then the fruits can be stored for no more than 5 days.
The Kvelli variety belongs to winter-hardy crops, so it is not necessary to warm it. When growing crops in the northern regions of the country, it will be necessary to water the bushes with a solution of superphosphate (100 g per 10 liters of water). For each bush, 5 liters are used.
After watering, you need to mulch the trunk circle. For this, humus, coniferous branches or sawdust is used. Remove the mulch layer in early April.
There are several ways to reproduce Quelli's remont raspberry:
- Using root offspring. When a bush 10 cm high is formed near the bush, it is necessary to dig it out and transplant it to a shaded place. Water the plants once a week. After 2 weeks, when the shoots take root, it should be transplanted to a sunny area.
- Using root cuttings. In the autumn, while loosening the soil, dig up roots 2 cm in diameter. Divide them into several parts and place in water. After 2-3 weeks, when the root system develops, transplant the roots into furrows measuring 6 × 8 cm.
- With the help of cuttings. Based on feedback from farmers, propagation by cuttings is very popular. In spring, cuttings need to be cut from the soil along with an earthen lump.Rub the roots with charcoal and plant the cuttings in small holes. Plant the plants in the greenhouse according to the 8 × 12 cm pattern. To root the cuttings, use special soil consisting of sand and peat in equal proportions.
Diseases and Pests
Quelli's raspberry variety has a good immune system.
Common diseases that affect the bushes include:
- Purple spotting. Prevention consists in the timely removal of weeds and airing the site. To cure raspberries, you need to spray the beds with a solution of Bordeaux liquid (100 g per 10 liters of water).
- Anthracnose. As a prophylaxis, the chemical insecticide “Khom” (20 g per 5 l of water) is used. It is impossible to cure this disease.
- Wilt. Spraying with “Fundazole” (50 g per 10 l of water) helps prevent the disease. The treatment consists in the use of copper sulfate (40 g per 5 l of water), which is carried out monthly spraying.
- Septoria If you carry out the treatment with Amistar (100 g per 10 liters of water), then you can prevent the development of the disease. Spraying with Fitosporin (50 g per 6 l of water) will help heal the bushes.
Pest management is the use of folk remedies. To destroy aphids and raspberry beetles, it is necessary to spray the beds with infusion of onion husks (200 g per 5 l of water). Insist the solution during the day. In the fight against ticks, a solution of laundry soap is used (grate 50 g on a fine grater and dissolve in 7 l of warm water). An infusion of wood ash helps to get rid of caterpillars (100 g diluted in 10 l of warm water).
Important! If you use chemicals in the fight against diseases and parasites, you can lose part of the crop. The Kvelli variety is poorly restored after aggressive means.
So, all farmers, even beginners in the field of gardening, can grow Quelli raspberries. Thanks to the simple planting and care procedure, this culture has gained great popularity. Many gardeners plant this variety for the purpose of further sale, i.e. the berries of this variety are tasty and well stored.