Raspberry varieties Beglyanka: characteristics, features of cultivation
Among the wide variety of raspberry varieties, Beglyanka enjoys particular success among domestic gardeners, which differs from others in non-traditional yellow fruit color, long fruiting and excellent winter hardiness. What are the features of this variety, and what are the conditions for cultivating the plant - later in the article.
History of selection of yellow raspberries
Raspberry Beglyanka is a yellow-fruited yellow berry crop with a growing vegetation intended for cultivation in the central regions of the Russian Federation. The author of the described variety was the famous Russian geneticist I.V. Kazakov, who worked at the Kokinsky strong point. The fugitive is one of the ten best yellow-fruited raspberry varieties, and is also a representative of the Golden Kazakov Series.
The runaway forms medium-spreading, medium-growth bushes, on which 6–8 shoots are formed per season. Annual shoots are straight, light green in color, with low pubescence and a slight waxy coating on the surface.
Biennial branches erect, gray color. The culture has virtually no spikes. Its branches are covered with rare green, but rather rigid spikes, the bulk of which are concentrated at the base of the branches. The green mass of the plant is represented by medium-sized green leaves, a wrinkled structure, without pubescence, with small notches along the edges of the plate.
The variety belongs to the category of remontant, early ripening, in which the berries can be harvested twice a season. The first berries ripen in the second half of July. The second wave of fruiting continues until late autumn. During flowering, white, not more than 1 cm in diameter, flowers appear on the bushes, which produce a pleasant honey aroma.
Raspberry berries are quite large, weighing 3-5 grams, rounded conical shape, very beautiful yellow-apricot color. The pulp is fragile, very tender, has a sweet taste with a slight hint of acid and a delicate, delicate raspberry aroma. Berries in their composition contain up to 7.2% sugar and about 1.5% acid. The fruits have an excellent presentation, however, due to the soft structure, they do not tolerate transportation and storage. As a rule, raspberries are used fresh.
Did you know? Along with traditional yellow or red, raspberries of violet color happen. This unusual berry is the result of crossing ordinary raspberries with blackberries.
Advantages and disadvantages
- Gardeners who are engaged in the cultivation of the described variety, note a number of its positive qualities:
- early ripening;
- excellent resistance to cold;
- long fruiting period;
- universality of the use of fruits;
- excellent taste properties of berries;
- aesthetic appearance of the fruit;
- average growth rates of shoots, which greatly simplifies the procedure for caring for bushes;
- high resistance to many fungal ailments.
- The variety also has some disadvantages:
- poor storing of fruits and their unsuitability for long transportation;
- the presence of hard spikes on the branches.
Drought resistance, frost resistance
One of the benefits Beglyanka varieties considered its high frost resistance, which makes it possible to cultivate the plant in most regions of Russia, including in the suburbs. When growing raspberries in the southern and central zones, it does not need special shelter for the winter.
But in the northern regions, gardeners need to take care of the insulation of the bushes.Resistance to lack of moisture in the culture is average; it can calmly survive a long drought, but the fruits will be small and less juicy.
Productivity and fruiting
As noted above, Runaway belongs to the category of plants with early fruiting. During the season, fruit is harvested twice, while the fruiting period lasts from the second decade of July to the middle of October.
The crop yield is above average. Under favorable climatic conditions and competent care, experienced gardeners collect 2–2.5 kg of fruits from one bush. From one hectare of land per season, you can get up to 76 quintals of berries. It should be noted that after ripening the berries do not fall off the bushes, which greatly facilitates the process of harvesting.
Important! Yellow raspberry berries in their composition have a reduced percentage of anthocyanins - substances that cause allergic reactions, so they are recommended for pregnant women, allergy sufferers and young children.
The technology for planting raspberry seedlings Beglyanka is practically no different from the planting of other varieties. However, when conducting planting activities, it is necessary to take into account several important factors affecting the further development of the bushes - in particular, the planting site, soil, moisture.
Planting seedlings can be carried out in spring or autumn, depending on the climatic conditions of the growing region. In the northern zones, it is recommended to conduct events in the spring, so that during the summer the plant can take root and adapt to new conditions.
In the southern and central regions, spring planting is practiced. Seedlings are planted in warm, well-heated soil, the temperature of which should be at least + 15 ° С.
Choosing the right place
For the future raspberry, it is recommended to choose a well-lit, light, quiet, protected from drafts and cold winds place. The optimal location of the bushes is the south side of the site, along the fence.
Raspberry grows poorly and bears fruit in areas where tomatoes, potatoes and other solanaceous crops used to grow, since these plants are affected by the same ailments.
The fugitive prefers nutritious, loose and fertile soils with a neutral or weak acidity level. A few weeks before raspberry planting, the soil can be enriched with nutrients - for example, a solution of bird droppings or mullein.
Selection and preparation of planting material
The growth of seedlings, the speed of their rooting, as well as subsequent development will largely depend on the quality of planting material. Specialists advise to buy raspberry seedlings in nurseries or in specialized stores, which guarantee the quality of planting material.
When choosing a plant, you need to pay attention to the state of its root system. The roots should be strong, strong, elastic, without dryness, visible damage, suspicious stains, rot, signs of disease. Each seedling should have a minimum of 2-3 healthy shoots and 3 buds. After purchasing the material, the root system is dipped in a special bottle and stored as such until disembarkation.
Important! The root processes should not be allowed to dry out, otherwise the culture will not take root. Before planting a seedling in open soil, its roots are wrapped with moist material.
The technology for planting raspberry seedlings. The runaway is traditional and consists of the following stages:
- Dig a hole 60–70 cm in size.
- A drainage layer of expanded clay, brick chips, pebbles, etc., is lined at the bottom of the recess.
- A layer of nutrient soil is covered with a drainage layer: soil removed from a pit mixed with compost or manure and superphosphate.
- A small mound is made from the soil, on which a seedling is exposed.
- The root shoots of the plant are carefully straightened, the seedling is covered with soil so that the root neck remains on the surface by 5-6 cm.
- After planting, the soil is a little tamped and moistened with settled, cold water.
To preserve moisture in the soil and create favorable conditions for rooting the seedling, experts recommend that the soil under the bushes be mulched with organic materials: straw, sawdust, peat.
Raspberry Runaway does not require significant efforts from gardeners when leaving. The culture care procedure consists of traditional agricultural practices: watering, top dressing, pruning.
Important! Since Runaway is characterized by average growth rates, pruning of shoots is not done as often as in other varieties. In the fall, after the leaves have fallen, it is recommended to perform sanitary pruning by removing old, dry, too weak and damaged branches.
- Watering. Raspberry prefers moderate moisture, so under normal weather conditions it is watered 2-3 times a month. With prolonged drought, the amount of irrigation is increased to once a week. In rainy summers, the bushes do not moisturize at all, or moisturize once a month.
- Top dressing. Nutrients are added under raspberries throughout the growing season. In the early spring and late autumn, after harvesting the fruit, the bushes are fed with organic products, for example, bird droppings, rotted manure or humus. In the summer, mineral preparations are used to nourish the culture: superphosphates, potassium and phosphorus-based products. Fertilizers are applied in granular form, or diluted with water and combined with irrigation.
- Weeding and cultivation. Immediately after moistening the bushes, it is necessary to loosen the soil, which allows saturating the soil with oxygen and nutrients, thereby activating the development of root processes. Also, weeds are weeded 1-2 times a month, which inhibit the full growth of the crop.
Harvesting and storage
The berries of raspberry Beglyanka begin to ripen in the second half of July, while the fruiting period lasts until October. The fruits do not ripen at the same time, which makes it possible to enjoy delicious and fragrant berries for several months.
Did you know? Since ancient times, raspberries have the status of “female berry”. Among berries, it is a champion in iron content and helps women compensate for monthly blood loss.
Raspberries are removed from the bushes in the early morning or evening, in warm, dry weather. For storage, the berries are picked together with the stem and placed in a small container no more than 3-4 tiers. The fugitive cannot boast of good keeping quality and transportability, and the berries are also not suitable for long-term storage. The shelf life of fruits in the refrigerator is no more than 3-5 days.
Often, yellow raspberries of the described variety are used fresh. It has a rich chemical composition, which is represented by many useful vitamins and minerals that are vital for a person and have a beneficial effect on health.
As noted above, the Beglyanka variety has high winter hardiness and, when grown in the southern and central regions, does not require special shelter for the winter. In the northern zones, before wintering, the bushes are insulated.
Did you know? Bees collecting pollen from flowers raspberries, can increase its fertility by 60-100%. In this case, the flowers the plants are turned down, which allows the insects to work freely even in the rain.
- Shoots carefully, so as not to break, bend to the ground. They do the procedure before the sap flow in the plant stops, that is, when the shoots still remain elastic.
- The plant is covered with any breathable material - for example, burlap, agrofibre.
- In the absence of snow in the winter, it is recommended to sprinkle the bushes with sawdust or hay.
Experienced gardeners practice several ways to propagate raspberries:
- Cuttings. For cultivation with green cuttings on a two-year-old plant, shoots with a fully formed rosette of leaves, no more than 5 cm high, are selected. In this case, the stalk is cut so that it has a bright area from which roots subsequently appear. After cutting, the stalk is placed in a solution of any root formation stimulator for 16–18 hours. Prepared shoots are planted in soil enriched with a mixture of peat and river sand, and covered with a plastic film to ensure a greenhouse effect. Root roots usually appear after 2-3 weeks. After they get stronger and form 5-6 full leaves, they are planted in the ground.
- Layering (basal shoots). In early spring, the cuttings are carefully dug out together with an earthen lump and transplanted to a previously prepared place with fertile soil. After planting, the soil is abundantly moistened with warm, settled water. Each of the methods is characterized by high efficiency and shows a high percentage of rooting of seedlings.
Diseases and Pests
The fugitive is distinguished by strong immunity and the ability to withstand many fungal ailments. Most often, the plant undergoes such a fungal disease as mycoplasma growth of bushes, which is characterized by the appearance of weak, non-fruiting shoots, growing from one point. If there is a similar disease, it is recommended to dig up the plant and burn it outside the site.
Danger for raspberries can be such pests:
High efficiency in the fight against parasites is provided by the treatment of raspberries with modern insecticides, for example, "Confidor", "Karbofos", "Actara". Spraying is carried out before the beginning of the flowering phase of the crop, in order to protect the berries from chemicals.
Instead of store preparations, it is preferable to use folk remedies - for example, an infusion of onion husks or garlic, a decoction of dandelion, yarrow and tansy, an extract of capsicum or tobacco dust. Planting plants that repel pests such as dill, mustard, and marigolds near raspberries can be a reliable protection against insects.
Simple preventative measures will also help protect raspberries from ailments and parasites:
- regular loosening of soil and destruction of weeds on the site;
- compliance with irrigation and top dressing standards;
- cleaning of beds from fallen leaves, vegetation, dry branches;
- sanitary pruning of shoots;
- preventive treatment of bushes with biological products.
Bright and sunny raspberries Beglyanka is able to please domestic gardeners with their unpretentiousness and ease of cultivation, good productivity, excellent winter hardiness and excellent fruit properties. The plant does not require special care measures, but gratefully responds to top dressing, increasing yield by several times. The combination of unpretentiousness and excellent taste of the fruits makes the described raspberry variety a worthy representative of the "Golden Cossack Series".