Raspberry Maravilla: characteristics, planting pattern, growing characteristics
You can talk about raspberries for a very long time. This is an incredible berry, with excellent taste, appearance and an unforgettable aroma. It is difficult to imagine a private house or a summer cottage, on which there is not a single raspberry bush. There are a lot of varieties of this plant, but now I want to draw your attention to the raspberry variety Maravilla.
The Maravilla raspberry variety is a new and growing raspberry variety that was bred in 1996 by California breeders. The berry has been grown for a long period for the purpose of industrial production.
On the territory of Russia and Ukraine - this is a new variety of remont raspberries, which every year becomes more popular and more in demand. Variety Maravilla first appeared in the vastness of the CIS countries in 2011. Until that time, it could only be seen in America and Europe.
Did you know? In botany, raspberries are not called berries. From the point of view of this science, raspberry is a multi-dwelling (intergrown fruits with seeds).
Maravilla bushes are characterized by a spreading crown shape (width - 65–75 cm). Kusy are classified as tall (2.5–3.5 m). The shoots of the plant are thick and straight, purple in color with a red tint. Spike saturation is rare. As a rule, 5-6 shoots grow on a bush. Leaves are green. The inflorescence is white, formed at the top of the stems. Bushes bloom very beautifully and look like ornamental plants.
The fruits are bright red. With good lighting on the berries you can see a slight shine. The shape of the berries is correct. This is a large raspberry variety that has dense berries with a diameter of up to 3 cm. The taste is sweet with a little acidity. The pulp is elastic and very fragrant. The seeds in the berry are soft and not felt during eating. Since this is a tall plant, the fruits on the stem begin to be located quite high - 1.8 m.
Advantages and disadvantages
A huge number of positive aspects of raspberries of this variety leaves no one indifferent to this berry.
- The pluses include:
- large fruits;
- early ripening;
- fruiting 2 times a year;
- rich taste;
- high productivity;
- excellent transportability.
There are practically no shortcomings in the repair raspberries of Maravilla.
- By cons include:
- on the open ground, this variety is worse bearing fruit than in a greenhouse;
- requires regular maintenance of the bushes;
- there is a risk of replacing seedlings when buying.
Drought resistance, frost resistance
The plant tolerates heat and drought. In this variety, a high level of adaptation to the environment is genetically laid. The raspberry variety Maravilla has a moderate level of frost resistance. It easily tolerates frosts down to -20 ° C. As practice shows, the roots freeze at -22 ... -24 ° C. In regions with heavy snowfall, the plant tolerates severe frosts more easily.
Productivity and fruiting
Raspberry bushes bear fruit in the second year after planting. Fruiting 2 times a year. In spring, yields are significantly higher (65–70%) than in autumn (30–35%). The first fruits are harvested from mid-May to the end of July. The next gathering takes place in September and before the first frosts.
In open areas from 1 ha on bushes, up to 25 tons of berries ripen. In greenhouses, this indicator is much higher - up to 50 tons. On one shoot, as a rule, you can collect up to 40 berries.
This type of raspberry is becoming more and more popular every year. Therefore, it is very important to adhere to all the nuances and landing rules.
There are several ways to grow Maravilla:
- In open areas;
- In film tunnels;
- In ordinary greenhouses.
Cuttings of Maravilla in open areas are planted in spring or autumn. The first fruits of the bushes bring in the second year of planting.In film tunnels, landing occurs in March. Thanks to this technology, the first crop ripens in mid-May.
Choosing the right place
If planting occurs on the open ground, then this variety of raspberries is quite demanding. The place should not be closed from the sun, in the shade productivity will be low. It is better to choose a cozy area, sheltered from the wind.
Important! Planting Maravilla in areas where tomatoes, potatoes, garden strawberries and eggplants were previously grown is not desirable. This can damage the yield of the plant.
The soil in the allotted area for the bushes should be light and slightly acidic. Loam is the ideal type of soil for the plant. The optimum acidity is 5.7–6.6 pH.
If at a selected location in the soil a high level of acidity, then you can reduce it by adding dolomite or limestone to the soil. Raspberry bushes will bear fruit well and grow comfortably, provided that the groundwater distance is at least 1 m. Moistening the soil is very important for this variety.
There is a special technology for planting in film tunnels. It is this type of cultivation that allows you to collect the maximum amount of yield. Seedlings are planted in containers with a substrate. The volume of the container is 8-10 liters. The containers are arranged in rows and are located 6–8 cm above the ground in order to avoid infection by rot.
Selection and preparation of planting material
You need to buy Maravilla variety in specialized stores or in nurseries. You should not go for this purchase to the market. This is a new kind of raspberry, it is not easy to find in natural markets. As a result, they may not sell you the kind of berry you wanted.
Consider the basic requirements for raspberry seedlings:
- Carefully inspect the root system and stems. Damage and tumors should be absent.
- Leaves should not be open.
- Suitable root length for planting is 15 cm.
Before planting in open ground, the root system is immersed for several minutes in mullein, clay or chernozem.
The planting scheme of repair raspberries provides the following actions:
- In the selected area, it is necessary to tear out all the weeds and dig it.
- The soil is fertilized before planting. For feeding suitable rotted peat and humus.
- Pits for planting are dug with a size of 45 × 55 cm, adhering to the distance between them - 70 cm. The interval between the rows is 2 m.
- The roots before deepening into the pit must be straightened.
- The location of the root neck after planting should be at ground level.
- The soil near the seedling is tamped.
- For each bush, pour 5 liters of warm water.
Repair raspberries need proper and timely care. This is a demanding type of raspberry, but for your work you will receive a decent reward in the form of a good harvest.
On the open ground, plant care involves:
- weed removal;
- loosening of the soil (5-6 times per season);
- watering with settled, warm water once a week, and in the heat more often;
- soil nutrition (from the 3rd year on nitrogen-containing fertilizers, superphosphate, urea and potassium sulfate);
- sanitary pruning of bushes should be carried out annually in the spring;
- after each harvest, the shoots must be cut off (up to 1.5 m);
- if necessary, install trellises under the branches.
In greenhouse conditions, plant care is no less important.
- regular ventilation of the greenhouse;
- fertilizing bushes 2 times a month (it is recommended to change the sequence of fertilizing with mineral and organic fertilizers);
- the temperature in the room should be + 22 ° С during the day, + 15 ° С at night;
- moisture level support;
- periodic mulching of the soil with the help of sawdust and nutshell.
Preparing for winter plants does not require much effort. It is enough to carry out autumn leaf cleaning. Moderate frost resistance of the plant allows not to cover the plant in frosts down to -20 ° C.In autumn, it is necessary to warm the soil around the bush with a leaf, sawdust and straw in a radius of 50 cm.
Consider two main methods of propagation of remont raspberries:
- Reproduction by root cuttings. In autumn, it is necessary to dig up the roots of raspberries, and then cut 10-15 cm long. Roots must be selected with a thickness of at least 2 mm. Planting of such cuttings can be carried out immediately to a permanent place. Seedlings are immersed in the ground for 7-8 cm, after which they are abundantly watered with water. In spring, this method of reproduction will be more effective. Only for this it is necessary to create the correct storage conditions for cuttings in the winter. Put them in the cellar and sprinkle with damp sawdust. As a result, in the spring you will receive additional planting material, since several growth buds are formed on the roots. Cuttings are divided into additional seedlings depending on the number of new buds. First you need to drop them in a small container (pot or box). After the seedlings have grown, they are transplanted into the ground.
- Reproduction by root offspring. The period is the beginning of summer or autumn. As practice shows, autumn offsprings take root better. The complexity of this method of reproduction lies in the fact that remont raspberries have very few offspring (5-6). But despite this, this type of breeding is the most popular. Shoots for planting must be selected powerful, with a large root system. The top of the shoot is cropped. The ideal stem height is 30–40 cm. Before planting, you need to carefully straighten the roots. The root crop should be placed in a growth stimulator, after which it should be covered with a nutrient substrate and regularly watered.
Diseases and Pests
Growing raspberries is a time consuming process.
Unfortunately, this berry is easily affected by such diseases and pests:
- late blight;
- spotted Drosophila, etc.
In order to save the crop, it is necessary to carry out preventive maintenance of bushes on time. In the spring, before the harvest ripens, the plant and the soil next to it are sprayed with a special tool, for example, Bordeaux liquid.
To completely destroy pests, the procedure must be repeated after harvesting. Timely removal of damaged branches and cleaning of fallen leaves can also protect against an undesirable disease.
Harvesting and storage
Collecting raspberries of this variety is not difficult. The berries are large, elastic, easily detached from the branches. The large size of the berries does not change during fruiting. Rare spikes on the branches do not impede this painstaking work. Berries rarely rot.
Raspberries are transported very well, which is why today it can often be seen on store shelves. The peculiarity of this berry is that its appearance for a long period remains impeccable. In the refrigerator, the raspberry variety Maravilla retains its appearance and taste for up to 15 days.
Raspberry Maravilla is rightfully considered one of the most popular and sought-after varieties of this berry. Fruits can please you not only in spring and summer, but also give a tasty harvest in the fall. The energy spent on caring for the plant will be justified after the first harvest.